Boxing News - Latest Headlines

Canelo must prove to Commission clenbuterol levels came from meat

Canelo Alvarez Gennady Golovkin

By Jeff Aranow: Saul Canelo Alvarez will be meeting with the Nevada Commission on April 10th to prove to them that his 2 failed tests from the banned substance clenbuterol came from contaminated meat. Documentation on the purchase of the contaminated meat has been turned into the Nevada Commission by Golden Boy Promotions, according to Lance Pugmire.

Now it’s up to Commission to decide whether the information is enough to clear the 27-year-old Canelo. The levels that Canelo tested positive for with clenbuterol are said to be low and within the range of someone that had eaten contaminated beef. It’s going to be difficult for the Nevada Commission to prove that Canelo’s positive test for clenbuterol didn’t come from him eating contaminated meat. The levels are low enough for them to be consistent with someone having eaten meat that contained the substance. If the Commission is going to allow fighters to use the excuse that they ate contaminated meat for them to be cleared, then it’s likely Canelo will be given the green light by the Nevada Commission on April 10 to go ahead and fight Golovkin.

Some boxing fans might not like it, but the Commission allows the meat excuse to be used. If they’re going to allow fighters to swerve being penalized by them saying they ate contaminated meat, then Canelo will likely be cleared on April 10. It’s going to make the Commission look bad to some fans, but there’s nothing that can be done about that.

The Nevada Commission will want to hear what Canelo says on April 10 about his 2 positive tests for clenbuterol. Canelo’s first failed test on February 17 is said to have been 10 times higher for levels of clenbuterol for the second positive test on February 20. However, the tests were both low. It’s unclear what the Commission is going to ask Canelo.

It would seem that the low levels of his two positive tests should be enough for Canelo to be cleared. Canelo only has to say he ate contaminated meat, and then give the Commission the receipts for when and where he purchased the food. However, it would be a different story if the Commission didn’t allow fighters to use the contaminated meat excuse for them to avoid being suspended and penalized.

Low levels of a drug don’t necessarily mean that fighter ate contaminated meat. It could mean that the testing was done at the time the fighter was coming off the drug. You can argue that’s why the Commission should cancel the fight, because they have no way of knowing for certain how the clenbuterol got into Canelo’s system. If they’re going to make a judgment call and guess, then Golovkin could face a guy that has possibly used a drug to help him lean out his physique before starting training camp. Since then Commission can’t ever know for sure in cases like this, it’s better that they cancel a fight rather than letting it continue in my opionion.


More Boxing News:

Comments are closed.

Subscribe (Free!)

The views expressed in all articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of BoxingNews24 or its affiliates.

Facebook Button Twitter Button Twitter Button

Privacy Statement l Cookies Policy l Boxing Resources l Back To Top l Contact Us

64 Shares
Email
WhatsApp
Tweet
Share