McWilliams Arroyo vs. Carlos Cuadras – Results
By Jeff Aranow: In SuperFly2 results, McWilliams Arroyo (17-3, 14 KOs) emerged from a long 22 month layoff to defeat former WBC 115 lb. champion Carlos Cuadras (36-3-1, 27 KOs) by a 10 round majority decision to win the vacant World Boxing Council Silver super flyweight title on Saturday night at The forum in Inglewood, California.
The scores were 97-93, 98-92 and 95-95. Boxing News 24 scored the fight for Cuadras 97-93. He landed the better shots and was the busier fighter of the two.
Cuadras hurt Arroyo in round 2 with a big right hand to the head. Cuadras looked powerful with his combination punching.
In the 3rd round, Cuadras boxed more, jabbing and being strategic with his attacks. Arroyo was making a lot of noise with grunting attacks, which may have caught the attention of the judges.
In rounds 4 and 5, Arroyo had success with his accurate shots. Cuadras nailed Arroyo with a perfect left hook to the head that appeared to be enough to win the round.
Arroyo suffered a cut over his right eye in round 8. He was having his moments in the round, but Cuadras finished strong with a storm of shots that connected.
In the 9th and 10th, Cuadras looked tired and his punches seemed to lose to snap on them that they had earlier in the fight. But still, Cuadras was the busier fighter landing a lot of punches, but also missing a lot.
Cuadras was the busier guy and landing more. The judges were more impressed obviously with the more accurate shots from the 32-year-old Arroyo.
Looking and fighting a lot like a smaller version of Saul Canelo Alvarez, the 29-year-old Cuadras appeared to win several of the early rounds of the fight with his flurries. Cuadras looked powerful in attacking Arroyo with his high volume punching attack.
The win for the 2008 Olympian Arroyo over Cuadras takes some of the shine off of Juan Francisco Estrada’s recent 12 round majority decision over Carlos last September. Arroyo did a better job beating Cuadras than Arroyo did, and he’s fighting WBC super flyweight champion Srisaket Sor Rungvisai tonight in the main event on the SuperFly2 card.
Arroyo could be in the mix to face the winner of the Rungvisai vs. Estrada fight. He’s now in line to fight one of those guys with his win over Cuadras. As for Cuadras, his career is starting to look like it may be coming to an end. He hasn’t looked impressive since his 8th round stoppage win over Richie Mepranum in April 2016. Since that fight, Cuadras has gone 1-3 in his last 4 fights. The only win for Cuadras during that time is a controversial 10 round unanimous decision over David Carmona in March 2017.
More Boxing News:
- Dana White has plans for boxing event, will make announcement in a couple of weeks
- Sergiy Derevyanchenko training camp quotes for Saturday against Jermall Charlo
- Boxing Results: Jose Pedraza defeats Javier Molina, Efe Ajagba Decisions Rice
- Pedraza vs. Molina & Efe Ajagba vs. Jonnie Rice -official weights
- Erickson Lubin 153 3/4 vs. Terrell Gausha 153 – Weigh-in results
- Mike Tyson interested in facing Anthony Joshua in charity match
- Gennadiy Golovkin to fight on November 21st on DAZN
- Arum targeting Josh Taylor vs. Jose Ramirez for 2021 in Edinburgh or Las Vegas
- Jarrell ‘Big Baby’ Miller blaming his recent drug test on a sex pill
- Tyson Fury vs. Deontay Wilder 3 in doubt for 2020