Naoya Inoue vs. Antonio Nieves – Results
By Jim Dower: WBO World super flyweight champion Naoya Inoue (14-0, 12 KOs) put on a body punching clinic in stopping #7 Antonio Nieves (17-2-2, 9 KOs) in a 6th round on Saturday night at the StubHub Center in Carson, California.
The fight was halted by Nieves’ corner after round 6. He had taken too much punishment. Inoue, 24, dropped Nieves with a hard body shot in round 5. He continued to nail Nieves with body shots for the remainder of the round.
Nieves was on his bike, practically running from Inoue after the knockdown. Inoue stopped following him a one point and put his hands out to his sides in frustration. Nieves didn’t have the offensive fire power to stand and trade with the bigger punching Inoue.
This was a voluntary defense for Inoue. Nieves had lost his last fight, and he clearly didn’t deserve a world title shot.
The fight was televised on HBO Championship Boxing.
More Boxing News:
- Egidijus Kavaliauskas vs. Mikael Zewski on September 12 on ESPN
- The Trio Vying For British Glory: Chad Sugden on Facing Shakan Pitters and Craig Richards
- Boxing Results: Ted Cheeseman defeats Sam Eggington
- Boxing Results: Srisaket Sor Rungvisai defeats Amnat Ruenroeng
- WATCH LIVE: Srisaket Sor Rungvisai vs. Amnat Ruenroeng
- Fury vs. Wilder 3 must face mandatory Whyte says WBC president
- Pacquiao doesn’t rule out Golovkin bout at 154
- Vasiliy Lomachenko vs. Felix Verdejo possible on Oct.3 if Teofimo fight falls through
- Artur Beterbiev vs. Meng Fanlong on September 25 on ESPN+
- Vasiliy Lomachenko vs. Devin Haney: A good replacement for Teofimo Lopez