Canelo: We made offer to Golovkin for fight at 160
By Dan Ambrose: Following his 9th round knockout win tonight over Liam “Beefy” Smith (23-1-1, 13 KOs), newly crowned World Boxing Organization junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (48-1-1, 34 KOs) says his promoters at Golden Boy promotions have made an offer to IBF/IBO/WBA/WBO middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (36-0, 33 KOs) for a fight at the full weight for the 160lb division.
Canelo says the offer is twice the amount that Golovkin has ever made in the ring before, according to Fight News. If the offer is twice the amount that Golovkin has ever received for a fight, it still doesn’t sound like a great deal if Golovkin isn’t going to enjoy the kind of money that Canelo will be getting from a fight against him.
“We made the offer and now it’s on him, the ball is in his court. The weight is no issue anymore,” said Canelo via Fightnews.com. “Yes, that’s not an issue anymore. I don’t fear no man. We made the offer now it’s on him, let’s wait for the response,” said Canelo about him being willing to fight Golovkin at 160.
If the money is only twice what Golovkin has received before, then that might not be a serious offer. If Canelo is going to be getting a tremendous payday and Golovkin a much smaller payday for him helping bring in a lot of fans, then it’s probably not worth fighting Canelo until he can share equally in the money generated from the fight.
You have to take what Canelo says about wanting to fight Golovkin with a grain of salt, because he talked of wanting to fight Golovkin after his win over Amir Khan last May, and the fight never happened.
I don’t believe that Golovkin’s management was given a serious offer for a fight against Canelo. I think if there was an offer made, it was the kind of a testing offer to see if they could get GGG for a low price. I don’t believe that it was an offer Team Golovkin will take seriously.
More Boxing News:
- Tureano Johnson and Jason Quigley added to the list for Canelo Alvarez’s next fight
- Canelo vs. Golovkin III targeted for May 2021
- John Ryder lists Saunders as Plan-B option if no Canelo Alvarez
- Canelo Alvarez could fight in September AND December
- Canelo taking a significant pay-cut for Sept.12
- Redkach wants Adrien Broner on Tank vs. Santa Cruz undercard
- Jeff Horn vs. Tim Tszyu on August 26 in Townsville, Australia
- Tank Davis to stream sparring session with Ivan Redkach on Monday
- Alexander Povetkin ready for Dillian Whyte
- Vergil Ortiz Jr in a hurry to face Terence Crawford