Mayweather shows off trunks he’s saving for win No.50
By Chris Williams: Boxing’s No.1 star Floyd Mayweather Jr. dropped a pretty big hint about him potentially making a comeback for win No.50. Mayweather recently proudly showed off a pair of boxing trunks that he says he’s saving for win No.50. Mayweather was on his European tour when he showed off a pair of trunks for the fans.
“I’m saving these for number 50…these number 50,” Mayweather said to Fighthype.com.
Like many people, they see Mayweather’s comeback as inevitable. It’s not whether Mayweather will return to the ring, it’s when he’ll return. What Mayweather is probably waiting for is to get a big enough name for him to return so that he can pick up win No.50. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Mayweather comes back to face someone like Amir Khan if he can beat Saul “Canelo” Alvarez on May 7 in their fight on HBO PPV.
I think Khan has a good chance of pulling off the upset. When/if Khan does get the win over Canelo, then it’ll be perfectly setup for Mayweather to make a comeback and snatch the WBC middleweight title from Khan. I think the World Boxing Council will have WBC mandatory challenger Gennady Golovkin cool his heels for a little while longer while the Mayweather-Khan fight takes place for their WBC middleweight belt.
The WBC wouldn’t want to stand in the way of a huge fight like Mayweather vs. Khan. Canelo and his promoters at Golden Boy will probably create a big fuss over Mayweather facing Khan immediately, because I believe Canelo has a rematch clause in the contract for the Khan fight that sets it up to where he can a rematch right away if he loses.
Mayweather retired from the sport last September following his beautifully crafted 12 round unanimous decision win over Andre Berto. Mayweather made a very good fighter look like he had two left feet in that fight. Mayweather took Berto to school and clowned him for 12 rounds. It was a domination on par with Mayweather’s one-sided decision win over Saul “Canelo” Alvarez in 2013. Mayweather beat Berto just the same way he did against Canelo. It was a masterpiece from Mayweather.
Many boxing fans feel that Mayweather retired too soon, because he was still way ahead of his competition and he could have continued winning for another two to five years. Mayweather has the talent still to beat the best in the sport and do it with ease.
More Boxing News:
- KSI addresses Mayweather vs. Logan Paul rumors: “This ain’t happening”
- Teofimo Lopez reacts to Mayweather fighting Logan Paul
- Logan Paul not denying Floyd Mayweather fight happening
- Conor McGregor says he carried Floyd Mayweather 3 years ago
- Santa Cruz says Mayweather is training Tank Davis for nothing; he won’t change
- Devin Haney: Gamboa fight is a done deal, I can hurt him
- Oscar de La Hoya looking fast and powerful in mitts workout
- Canelo Alvarez has refiled his lawsuit against Golden Boy and DAZN
- Porter: Erislandy Lara is the next guy for Jermell Charlo at 154
- David Haye warns Usyk: It only takes one shot, Chisora will cause an upset