Demetrius Andrade vs. Dario Fabian Pucheta on October 17th
By Dan Ambrose: 27-year-old former WBO junior middleweight champion Demetrius Andrade (21-0, 14 KOs) will be fighting next month on October 17th against 28-year-old Argentinian Dario Fabian Pucheta (20-2, 11 KOs) in a 10 round fight for the vacant WBO International super welterweight title at the Mohegan Sun Casino, in Uncasville, Connecticut.
This will be the first fight for Andrade since his win over Brian Rose in June of 2014. The World Boxing Organization recently stripped Andrade for failing to defend his WBO 154lb title for over a year. Andrade wasn’t happy about it, but there wasn’t much he could do other than appeal the decision by the WBO.
Andrade was on top of the world with his 7th round stoppage win over Rose last year, but unfortunately he was never able to line up another fight after that single title defense. Andrade captured the WBO title with a 12 round decision win over Vanes Martirosyan in November of 2013.
The 5’6” Pucheta stopped welterweight Bethuel Ushona in the 8th round last October. That was one of Pucheta’s better known opponents he’s faced. Most of the other fighters he’s fought during his career were little known fighters in Argentina. Pucheta has been beaten in the past by Anderson Clayton and Ricardo Ezequiel Quinones.
“It’s about time that I get back in the ring. I am happy to be fighting at home in front of my fans. It is the most comfortable place in the world to be, and I look forward to regaining my title and defending in front all my loyal fans. I just want to thank them for their support during the last year. I look forward to seeing all of my fans at the fight,” said Andrade.
Andrade has dropped out of the top 15 rankings due to his inactivity. He’s needs to get busy with his career and put some victories together because he’s not helping himself by staying inactive like this.
If he could win a number of fights, he’ll get back into the top 15. But the reality is that the lanky 6’1” Andrade, who goes by the alias “Boo Boo,” is probably going to need to work his way into a mandatory spot for him to get a world title fight at 154. He’s too good for one of the champions to pick him out in a voluntary defense.
Lucas Browne being trained by Nigel Benn
Unbeaten #3 WBA heavyweight contender Lucas Browne (23-0, 20 KOs) is being trained by boxing great Nigel Benn and the highly talented trainer Rodney Williams in hopes of improving his game enough so that he can eventually defeat WBA “regular” heavyweight champion Ruslan Chagaev. Browne, 36, is the mandatory challenger for Chagaev. When he does eventually get a title shot against him, Browne can’t afford to blow it because he’s too old for him to be put in a position where he needs to rebuild his career.
“My hand is still in a cast, but I can’t wait to get in there and work with Nigel and Rodney,” Browne said. “I watched Nigel train yesterday and I was really impressed with him and what Rodney was showing him. I’m sure that fight fans in the UK and Ireland will be excited about Nigel training me and bringing out the beast! He was always in exciting fights and always in tip-top shape.”
More Boxing News:
- Saunders won’t be fighting Canelo, wants Andrade or Callum Smith in November
- Daniel Jacobs and Demetrius Andrade to share card in November on Dazn
- Canelo Alvarez will fight Callum Smith or Demetrius Andrade next says Matchroom boss
- Saunders 3 options if no Canelo fight: Callum, Andrade & Eubank Jr
- Demetrius Andrade wants Canelo Alvarez or Jermall Charlo
- Canelo vs. Yildirim purse bid rescheduled for October 6
- Hearn says Whyte’s career will be “terminal” if he loses to Povetkin on Nov.21
- Erickson Lubin ready for Jermell Charlo rematch
- Devin Haney and Yuriorkis Gamboa reach an agreement for Nov.7 fight on DAZN
- Fury advises Joshua to vacate WBO belt to duck Oleksandr Usyk