Why all the fuss over Mayweather’s pound for pound choices?
By John Kelvin: In the last day or so some mainstream media and fans have appeared to become upset by Floyd Mayweather Jr’s choice of the top 5 pound for pound fighters.
The list was Mayweather at number one, Duran at two, Chavez at three, Whittaker at four and Ali and five. Since all of these fighters are all time greats, I fail to see why there is such an outcry. These are five choices based on his own opinion of who he thinks are the best.
People are complaining that Sugar Ray Robinson, Rocky Marciano, Willie Pep, Henry Armstrong etc were not included. The fighters which Mayweather ranked could compete in any era with any fighter in their weight class. If you don’t know their record and accomplishments, look them up. The choices are based on accomplishments but also styles. If people enjoy a certain style or fighter they will obviously hold them in a higher regard than what others do.
People who include Marciano on their list often point to his undefeated record as justification. Ricardo Lopez, a great boxer like Marciano, also retired undefeated. He had more wins than Marciano, more title defenses and won titles in 2 divisions. Why is he not included but Marciano is?
Are some of the fighters from past era’s really that much better than today’s boxers or do people just mention them because everyone else seems to?
Bernard Hopkins ranked Mayweather in his top three boxers of all time, why did the media not jump all over Hopkins when he said this? Are some people allowed to have their own opinions but others are not?
The pound for pound list is mythical and is decided purely on individual preference. The fighters Mayweather listed were who he thinks are the best based on his own opinion. There is no official right or wrong list.
Journalists and fans are using their personal dislike for Mayweather to nit pick and disparage everything he says or does. Their own dislike is maybe why they don’t rank him as high as he might deserve.
It’s just his opinion, it’s not the end of world if you don’t agree.
Contact me with any questions at email@example.com
More Boxing News:
- Floyd Mayweather Jr upset at Sugar Ray Leonard ranked #1 at 147
- Floyd Mayweather to fight a couple exhibitions overseas
- Shakur Stevenson: The next Adrien BRONER or Mayweather?
- Floyd Mayweather reacts to Conor McGregor retiring: ‘I’m waiting to punish you again’
- Ryan Garcia: Gervonta SHOULD take it personally – Mayweather training Haney
- Carlos Takam 245.7 lbs vs. Jerry Forrest 225.6 lbs – weigh-in results
- Saunders: I’m NOT a stepping stone for Canelo
- Tyson Fury helps out cut-man that saved him against Otto Wallin
- Eddy Reynoso: Ryan Garcia will knockout Luke Campbell
- Dillian Whyte parts ways with trainer Mark Tibbs