Mayweather could decide next opponent within 2 weeks, Khan and Brook in front
— Lance Pugmire (@latimespugmire) June 3, 2015
By Scott Gilfoid: Amir Khan and Kell Brook are in the two top spots for Floyd Mayweather Jr’s September fight, according to LA Times Lance Pugmire. He’s reporting that Mayweather will be making a decision about his next opponent in two weeks from now, and that two fighters are above the other potential candidates for Mayweather’s fight.
It’s unclear who Pugmire’s source is, but it would be really surprising if Mayweather chooses his next fight in selecting Khan or Brook. Those guys aren’t big names in the U.S, and they won’t bring much to the table compared to guys like Danny Garcia, Lucas Matthysse and Lamont Peterson. Those guys would bring in a lot of fans in Las Vegas, Nevada.
“I’m told Floyd Mayweather may move towards his next opponent, with Amir Khan and Special K Brook in front, within two weeks,” Pugmire said on his Twitter.
Brook has only has a couple of his fights televised in the U.S, and I just don’t know that the casual boxing fans would be interested in seeing Mayweather fight this guy. Khan isn’t much better. He’s not known by the casual fans because he’s not had an interesting fight in three years since his KO loss to Danny Garcia in 2012.
Brook feels he should be the guy that gets the Mayweather fight rather than Khan, who is coming off a terrible performance against Chris Algieri last Friday night at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. The Khan-Algieri fight didn’t bring in big attendance numbers.
“If anyone is getting that Mayweather fight it’s me,” Brook said to ESPN’s Steve Buncey. “I’m unbeaten, never been beat, never been close to being beat. I’m world champion.”
As long as Mayweather is willing to accept getting low PPV numbers for his next fight in September, then Brook or Khan is the way to go. But if Mayweather wants big bank for his next fight, then he’s going to need to fight the likes of Garcia, Matthysse or Peterson. The fighter that would bring Mayweather huge money for September is Gennady Golovkin. The only problem is Golovkin is so dangerous that he might prove too difficult for Mayweather to deal with. I mean, even if Golovkin were to drain down to 154 for the fight with Mayweather, he’d be dangerous at all times while in there with him.
If Mayweather just doesn’t care who he faces next, then he should face Khan or Brook. Those guys won’t help him bring in a lot of PPV buys. But if Mayweather wants to prove something, he needs to fight someone else like Golovkin.
More Boxing News:
- Kell Brook calls out Terence Crawford for November 2020
- Arum approached by Kell Brook for Terence Crawford fight
- Mayweather reacts to Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr fight announcement
- Floyd Mayweather: Pacquiao fights because he has to, I fight because I want to
- Oscar Valdez BLAMES Mayweather for fighter ducking the best
- Gervonta Davis calling himself “130/135 King”
- Errol Spence has “screenshotted” his doubters, he’ll gloat after Nov.21
- Jermall Charlo gives Sergiy Derevyanchenko a warning: “What round is it going to be?”
- The Trio Vying For British Glory: Chad Sugden on Facing Shakan Pitters and Craig Richards
- Broner: Tank Davis will fight Ryan Garcia after Leo Santa Cruz