Cotto admits he isn’t a true middleweight, Canelo Alvarez bout likely next
(Hoganphotos/Roc Nation Sports/Miguel Cotto Promotion) By Demetrius Luke: WBC middleweight world champion Miguel Cotto (40-4, 33 KOs) stopped his opponent Daniel Geale in the 4th round last Saturday night in retaining his title at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. The 34-year-old Cotto knocked Geale down twice in the 4th round with Geale choosing not continue fighting after the second knock down.
In the post fight interview, HBO analyst Max Kellerman asked Miguel Cotto if he is a true middleweight to which Cotto replied ”What do you think”? to which Kellerman responded with ”It doesn’t look like it” and Cotto finished off by saying ”I’m not a middleweight”
Miguel Cotto looked impressive in the performance against the 34-year-old Geale, boxing very well in the 1st round before becoming more aggressive in the next few rounds, throwing powerful hooks which ultimately finished Geale off. Cotto said the likely fight for him next will be against Saul ”Canelo” Alvarez which would be a big money PPV fight on HBO, the two were negotiating to face off last May but due to poor communication from both sides, the fight wasn’t going to be but both Cotto and the 24-year-old Alvarez are optimistic about making the fight happen for the fall of this year.
Cotto was also asked about a possible fight against undefeated WBA (super) middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin (33-0, 30 KO’s) and Cotto said if Golovkin is available to fight after the Canelo fight then he will take the fight. Cotto won’t have to worry too much about that as Golovkin has been pursuing the Cotto fight since the moment he won his title’s against Sergio Martinez last year in June. On top of that Golovkin is also now the WBC mandatory for Cotto’s title, so he will be made to fight the winner of Miguel Cotto’s next fight which likely will be Canelo.