Demetrius Andrade challenges Erislandy Lara
PROVIDENCE (March 4, 2015) – Undefeated World Boxing Organization (WBO) junior middleweight champion Demetrius “Boo Boo” Andrade (21-0, 14 KOs) has challenged World Boxing Association titlist Erislandy “The American Dream” Lara (20-2-2, 12 KOs) to a unification title fight in April or May.
Andrade, the 2008 U.S. Olympian and 2007 World Amateur Championships gold medalist, and three-time Cuban National amateur champion Lara have traded barbs through the media this week.
Andrade says Lara has been running from him, while Lara claimed he’s not worried about fighting the gifted New Englander, calling him a “spoiled brat”.
In a statement, Lara said Andrade turned down an ESPN2 fight with him and that he “whooped that ass for free in the amateurs.” Lara also questioned who, in comparison, Andrade has fought. He also said Andrade pulled out of the biggest fight of his career against Lara’s stablemate, Jermell Charlo, implying that Andrade reneged on a signed contract.
For the record, Lara defeated Andrade in the 2007 Pan-Am Qualifier, 9-4, in a match held in Venezuela, however, Andrade’s manager Ed Farris was quick to add, “First of all, when did Lara ever whoop Demetrius’ ass? Does Lara mean in the amateurs when he ran away from him for three rounds? Their five-year age difference was significant in the amateurs because Demetrius was still a teenager and, even then, Lara needed overseas judges to steal that decision. Lara landed something like nine total punches during the entire fight. If that’s an ass kicking, well, count us in!”
Farris also added that the fight between Lara and Andrade should be easy to make. “Only a few days ago,” Farris noted, “Lara mentioned that he was willing to fight Demetrius in the past for only $15,000. So, I’m sure HBO or Showtime will gladly accommodate his request.”
Andrade captured the vacant WBO title November 9, 2013 by way of a 12-round decision over previously unbeaten Vanes Martirosyan (33-0-1), the same fighter Lara struggled with in a nine-round draw. Andrade’s most recent fight was last June in his first title defense against mandatory challenger Brian Rose (25-1-1), in which Andrade looked sensational in a seventh-round knockout of the Brit.
Point-by-point, Andrade countered Lara’s erroneous allegations and unsubstantiated claims. “When was this imaginary fight offer two years ago on ESPN,” Andrade asked rhetorically. “You and I both know that never happened, Lara. I sure as hell never saw any offer to fight Lara on ESPN. Who have I fought? I only need to mention one name: I beat Vanes Martirosyan, the guy Lara couldn’t beat! Lara was lucky enough to get a draw because he RAN around the ring for the first half of the fight instead of fighting. But, hey, that’s what Lara does. Just ask ‘Canelo’ (Alvarez) and boxing fans who watched their fight.
“Lara said anytime, anywhere. How about April or May if he needs more time to hit the track and get extra laps in? One more thing, Lara, I have NEVER walked away from a signed contract. EVER! You probably never stopped running around long enough to even know that. The only contract I ever signed to fight Charlo was a month ago and Charlo declined. Lara said I signed a contract to fight Charlo before that. If he can show me an agreement that I signed to fight Charlo on December 13th, I promise to stop calling him out. Lara, you can run – everybody knows you do — but you can’t hide. We have unfinished business to take care of.”
Lara’s powerful adviser, Al Haymon, has a slew of television dates, including April 18 on Showtime in Carson, California. Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr. faces Andrjej Fonfara in the main event but a co-main event hasn’t been announced.
“Lara will not be able to handle Demetrius’ size and strength,” Farris remarked, “and sooner or later Demetrius will catch him. The only time Lara stood and fought, he got his ass handed to him by (Alfredo) Angulo. The ONLY reason he got out of that fight alive is because Angulo suffered an eye injury at the end. Otherwise, Lara was headed to the canvas again for a third time and anyone that saw that fight knows it.”
Follow Demetrius Andrade on Twitter @BooBooBoxing.
HBO Sports Extends Agreements with Veteran Announcers Jim Lampley and Max Kellerman
NEW YORK, March 4, 2015 – HBO Sports has entered into new multi-year agreements with Jim Lampley and Max Kellerman, who are the primary voices for its HBO Boxing franchises. Both announcers will continue to serve on multiple HBO Boxing platforms, including “World Championship Boxing®,” “HBO Boxing After Dark®” and HBO Pay-Per-View®. The agreements were announced today by Rick Bernstein, senior vice president and executive producer, HBO Sports.
“For more than two decades, Jim has been the signature voice of HBO Boxing,” said Bernstein. “Jim’s incomparable knowledge of the sport of boxing and his work on our many boxing programming initiatives, along with his own boxing studio program (‘The Fight Game with Jim Lampley’), have made him universally recognized as the best in the sport and the captain of our boxing coverage. We’re thrilled Jim will continue to bring his high journalistic standards and talents to the HBO audience for many years to come.”
A four-time Sports Emmy® Award winner, Lampley will be inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in Canastota, NY on June 14.
Starting with his first HBO presentation, the “World Championship Boxing” fight between Mike Tyson and Tony Tubbs from Tokyo on March 20, 1988, Lampley has been at the helm for some of the most dramatic moments in HBO Boxing history.
“I am delighted and grateful for the chance to continue my richly rewarding relationship with the number-one network in television,” said Lampley. “In sports as in entertainment, HBO presents the greatest of all opportunities to report complex truth, and there are no sports truths more profound and complex than those illuminated by boxing.”
Max Kellerman joined HBO Sports in 2005 as a co-host on pay-per-view telecasts and quickly developed a smooth and unique repertoire and interview style. Kellerman began working as a ringside commentator and interviewer on HBO’s “Boxing After Dark” series in 2006 and eventually assumed a leading role for “World Championship Boxing,” “HBO Boxing After Dark” and HBO Pay-Per-View events. In addition, Kellerman became the host of the acclaimed “Face-Off” feature series in 2010.
“Max has been an invaluable asset to the HBO Boxing franchise since joining us ten years ago,” said Bernstein. “His passion, instincts and historical knowledge all play a key role in making our broadcasts impactful.”
“The privilege of calling the best fights in the sport is second only to working alongside all of the extraordinary people in the HBO family,” said Kellerman.
Lampley and Kellerman return to HBO on Saturday, March 14 when they call the “World Championship Boxing” tripleheader from Montreal’s Bell Centre, headlined by the 2015 debut of undefeated light heavyweight champ Sergey Kovalev as he meets the formidable Jean Pascal (9:45 p.m. ET/PT).
Lampley and Kellerman are represented by Nick Khan of CAA and Michael Price of Price Management.
More Boxing News:
- Jack Culcay takes on Abass Baraou in Berlin, Germany on Aug. 28
- British Boxing: Fight Night Boxing Schedules Announced
- Boxing Results: Jose Pedraza Dominates LesPierre
- Statements from A. Serrano and manager regarding a demand from Eddie Hearn
- Zepeda vs. Castaneda & Takam vs. Forrest on week 5 of ESPN summer series
- Hearn against letting Tony Bellew make a comeback
- Chris Eubank Jr: I’m looking to DESTROY Canelo
- Amir Khan to Marcos Maidana: “Let’s do it again”
- Eubank Jr gives his theory on WHY Saunders didn’t take Canelo Alvarez fight
- Emanuel Navarrete wants Naoya Inoue, believes he’ll beat him