Jermain Taylor being investigated by police for allegedly discharging firearm
By Jim Dower: IBF middleweight champion Jermain Taylor’s February 6th title defense against fringe contender Sergio Mora (27-3-2, 9 KOs) is in jeopardy. The 36-year-old Taylor is being investigated for allegedly discharging a firearm on Monday during the Martin Luther King Parade in Little Rock, Arkansas.
The Arkansasonline.com site is reporting that Taylor is being charged with “three counts of endangering the welfare of a minor and possession of Marijuana. Taylor was reportedly handcuffed by the police.
The police were said to have removed a firearm from Taylor’s vehicle.
Taylor is scheduled to face Mora on February 6th at the Beau Rivage Resort & Casino, in Biloxi, Mississippi, USA. Dan Rafael of ESPN is reporting that Taylor has a rib injury as well, so the fight with Sergio Mora is now off.
“When it rains it pours. 1st Jermain Taylor breaks rib other day, Mora fight off. Today gets arrested again for allegedly discharging a gun,” Rafael said on his twitter.
Taylor had rebuilt his career after a long period away from the limelight when he was given a chance to fight for the IBF title against previous IBF champion Sam Soliman last October. Soliman suffered a leg injury early on, and ended up getting knocked down four times by Taylor in the fight in losing a 12 round decision.
It was an impressive win for Taylor in turning his career around, because he arguably didn’t deserve a title shot due to the mediocre opposition he’d faced during the previous three years of his career.
In his first defense of his title, Taylor was matched against Sergio Mora, a fringe level fighter, rather than a top contender or a champion that would have made for much more interesting fight. Mora was someone that Taylor would have a good chance of beating, however. But that fight is now up in the air.
Additionally, there’s talk of Taylor possibly having a rib injury that will postpone the fight. Of course, the alleged discharging of a firearm by Taylor might be cause the fight with Mora to be cancelled if this charge sticks. The Mora fight is an important one, and Taylor isn’t young at 36. If he were to miss a lot of time dealing with legal issues, it could be a blow to what’s left of his career.
More Boxing News:
- O’Sullivan: Lemieux gets tired easily in his fights
- Jermain Taylor stripped of IBF title, Sturm and N’Dam ordered to fight for vacant belt
- Jermain Taylor being moved to lockdown hospital for evaluation
- Jermain Taylor being investigated by police for allegedly discharging firearm
- Are the Middleweight divisions really a joke?
- Mike Tyson: ‘Deontay Wilder wasn’t the same fighter in rematch”
- Tonight, WATCH Deontay Wilder battle Tyson Fury 2 on FS1
- Terence Crawford could face Kell Brook next
- Badou Jack now being trained by Johnathon Banks
- Demetrius Andrade to defend against Liam Williams next