Purses: Khan $950K, Alexander $600K, Thurman $500K, Bradley $2M, Chaves $35K
(Photo credit: Esther Lin/Showtime) By Dan Ambrose: Amir Khan (29-3, 19 KOs) will be receiving a $950,000 for his fight against Devon Alexander (26-2, 14 KOs) this Saturday night as the headline bout at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The fight will be televised on Showtime. Khan will likely receive additional money from the UK as part of the fight being televised on Sky. Alexander will be receiving $500,000 as the B-side in that fight.
In what’s really surprising is that former WBO welterweight champion Tim Bradley (31-1, 12 KOs) will be receiving $2 million purse for his fight against Diego Chaves (23-2, 19 KOs) on HBO on the same night at the Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, in Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.
It’s hard to wrap your teeth around Bradley getting $2 million to fight a little known fighter like Chaves. We’re not talking about Bradley fighting a big star on pay-per-view. For his part, Chaves will be getting just $35,000, according to Dan Rafael of ESPN. That’s pretty lopsided in Bradley’s favor with him getting $2M and Chaves only $35K.
I guess when you’re fighting a little known fighter it helps tilt the purses in one direction. Chaves could upset the apple cart if he beats Bradley. He can then potentially get a bigger split in a rematch if Bradley is willing to try and avenge the defeat.
“Purses for #KhanvsAlexander card per NSAC: Khan $950k, Alexander 600k, Thurman 500k, Bundu (contract not filed yet), Mares 250k, Ramirez 15k,” Rafael said on his twitter. “Herrera $200k, Benavidez $90k, Monaghan $35k, Regi $8k, Zewski $15k, Bryan $10k #boxing. Purses for Saturday’s Cosmo @HBOboxing card: Bradley $2M, Chaves $35k (obviously much for via Argentina), Korobov $160k, Lee $225k.”
Alexander is hoping to pull off a minor upset by beating Khan and ruining his chances of getting a fight against Mayweather. Alexander in this case will be acting in the role of a spoiler. He can ruin Khan’s dreams of getting a fight against Mayweather if he can somehow pull off an upset in this fight.
The chances aren’t too good that Alexander will beat Khan, but there’s definitely the potential of him beating him if he lands something big.
More Boxing News:
- Amir Khan with NO interest in fighting without fans present
- Khan wants Mayweather and Pacquiao before retiring
- ‘Keith Thurman needs to get his mind right’ – Tim Bradley
- Amir Khan: ‘Kell Brook needs me more than I need him’
- Amir Khan wants Manny Pacquiao fight in Qatar
- Whyte wants WBC to force Fury to fight him next in 2020
- Shakur Stevenson vs. Felix Caraballo possible for June 9
- Gassiev is better suited than Usyk at heavyweight – Abel Sanchez
- Evander Holyfield training with Wladimir Klitschko
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Billy Joe Saunders still expected for 2020 – Eddie Hearn