Khan beats Alexander in safety-first performance
By Scott Gilfoid: Fighting in a purely defensive manner for pretty much the entire fight, Amir Khan (30-3, 19 KOs) defeated former two division world champion Devon Alexander (26-3, 14 KOs) by a 12 round unanimous at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada. The final judges’ scores were 119-109, 118-110 and 120-107.
Khan constantly backed away each time Alexander would initiate any kind of offense, which made the fight very difficult to watch.
“I’m the best boxer with the quickest hands in the sport,” Khan said after the fight. “I have the best jab in the business.”
Speaking about Floyd Mayweather Jr, Khan said “I really believed I’ve earned a shot against the best fighter in the world. This would be a huge fight in the UK. I believe I have the style to beat him. I’m going to leave it to my team and Al Haymon.”
Alexander was forced to follow Khan around the ring all night long due to Khan constantly backing away each time that Alexander would attempt to initiate action.
Khan didn’t win in an impressive enough manner to deserve a fight against Mayweather in my book. It wasn’t an exciting fight like Khan’s usual fights, because he was playing it safe constantly in moving to try and not get hit by Alexander. The thing is Alexander isn’t a puncher, which is probably why he got the fight. Why Khan chose to move constantly against a light hitter like Alexander is anyone’s guess.
In the 12th round, Khan raised his hands while the round was still underway and openly ran from Alexander. It was painful to watch because it was so boring. For all the fans that had paid to see the fight live, it must have been difficult for them because neither the main event between Khan nor the co-feature bout between Keith Thurman and Leonard Bundu were exciting fights.
More Boxing News:
- Amir Khan says Terence Crawford can beat Floyd Mayweather
- Amir Khan says Kell Brook doesn’t want to fight him
- Errol Spence Jr vs. Danny Garcia is 50-50 fight says Amir Khan
- Amir Khan calling out Oscar De La Hoya
- Amir Khan targeting Keith Thurman, Manny Pacquiao & Danny Garcia
- Juan Francisco Estrada vs. Carlos Cuadras – preview & Prediction
- Ryan Garcia: There will be no escape for Luke Campbell on Dec.5
- Kell Brook comments on Sky and Hearn not showing Crawford fight
- Hearn talks, Canelo, DAZN, Golovkin & Fury vs. Joshua
- Billy Joe Saunders faces Martin Murray on Dec.4 on DAZN & Sky