Alexander: I’m going to stay in the pocket against Khan and fight
(Photo credit: Hogan Photos)By Scott Gilfoid: Devon Alexander (26-2, 14 KOs) says he wants to stay in the pocket on Saturday night and punch with Amir Khan (29-3, 19 KOs) in order to expose him in their fight on Showtime from the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Alexander recognizes that Khan has a chin problem, and he wants to capitalize on that by looking to hit him as often as possible to try and score a knockout.
Alexander notes that Khan has fast hands, but he doesn’t see him as being much faster than his own hand speed. He sees the two of them as being close enough in the hand speed department where it won’t matter.
Alexander knows that Khan sees himself getting a big money fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr in 2015, and he wants to ruin those plans by whipping Khan and removing any chance of him getting that fight.
“He is good, but I am going to expose him with my speed and quickness. He’s fast, but I’m fast too. He’s got quick hands, but I’ve got quick hands too. I’m going to stay in the pocket and fight. I am so confident. The time is perfect for this fight. I would love to spoil Khan’s plans for the future. In fact – I’m looking forward to it.”
It’s not clear whether Alexander will get a shot at Mayweather if he beats Khan. The general consensus is if Khan beats Alexander then he’ll most likely be getting a big payday fight against Mayweather, but it’s not understood that Alexander will get the same opportunity.
It’s highly likely that Alexander still won’t get a fight against Mayweather even if he knocks Khan out on Saturday. Mayweather wants to fight an opponent that is well-known and who has a large fan base. I’m not sure that Alexander has a big fan base outside of his own hometown.
“This is a high-stakes matchup that will take me one step closer to the top of the list,” Alexander said.
Alexander may not get a fight against Mayweather if he gets past Khan, but he’ll at least stay alive for some other big fights like a shot against IBF welterweight champion Kell Brook.
More Boxing News:
- Amir Khan to Marcos Maidana: “Let’s do it again”
- Amir Khan: Joshua has to go for the KILL against Fury
- Amir Khan denies being put DOWN by Manny Pacquiao in sparring
- Amir Khan ready to wait until crowds come back
- Amir Khan with NO interest in fighting without fans present
- Gervonta Davis wants Ryan Garcia vs. Luke Campbell winner
- Boxing Results: Jose Zepeda defeats Kendo Castaneda
- Jose Ramirez vs. Viktor Postol in August; Josh Taylor vs. Apinun Khongsong in Aug/Sep
- Ryan Garcia: My return is coming
- John Riel Casimero needs a tune-up while waiting for Naoya Inoue