Saunders-Eubank Jr fight signed for November 29th in London, UK
By Scott Gilfoid: For boxing fans interested in a domestic level scrap, the grudge match between #2 WBO middleweight contender Billy Joe Saunders (20-0, 11 KOs) and #15 WBO Chris Eubank Jr (17-0, 12 KOs) has reportedly been signed by both fighters for a fight that will take place next month on November 29th at the ExCel Arena, Dockland, in London, United Kingdom.
It recently looked like the fight wasn’t going to happen after Eubank Jr failed to sign the contract for the fight after it was sent out. Saunders then was looking to move on to challenge for the vacant WBO middleweight title against Matt Korobov.
That fight would have likely taken place if not for Eubank Jr having a change of mind, because Demetrius Andrade, the fighter that was supposed to be fighting Korobov, opted not to take the fight. That left the spot available to Saunders if he wanted to take the shot. But Saunders will still get a crack at the WBO title if he can get past Eubank Jr.
The Saunders v. Eubank Jr fight will be televised by BoxNation.
“I’ve been told by Frank [Warren] that he has eventually signed the fight and now I’m looking forward to it and getting in there and smashing him up,” Saunders said to whtimes.co.uk. “It’s what all the fans wanted, and financially it makes perfect sense. It means once I get this out of the way, I will be 100 per cent ready for a world title shot, which is already sorted.”
It’s interesting that the World Boxing Organization is still willing to let Saunders get a chance to fight for the WBO 160 pound title despite the fact that he’s basically passing up the chance right now. It must be nice that the WBO is willing to give Saunders a second shot, because a title offer like that should be one of those offers that you can’t say no to if you want to keep your rankings.
Tickets for the Saunders-Eubank Jr fight go for £40, £50, £75, £100, £200 and £300. The tickets can be purchased at Eventim at 0844 249 1000 or www.eventim.co.uk
More Boxing News:
- Eubank Jr gives his theory on WHY Saunders didn’t take Canelo Alvarez fight
- Saunders wants Canelo to take a pay cut
- Billy Joe Saunders no longer wants Canelo Alvarez fight
- Billy Joe Saunders considering retirement – AGAIN
- Saunders 3 options if no Canelo fight: Callum, Andrade & Eubank Jr
- Michael Hunter: I’d STOP Dillian Whyte; I beat Tyson Fury bad
- Gennadiy Golovkin training for Kamil Szeremeta fight
- Terence Crawford NOT getting Kell Brook fight
- Mike Tyson may have unfinished business
- Hearn against letting Tony Bellew make a comeback