Maidana wants Pacquiao fight
By Chris Williams: Former WBA welterweight champion Marcos Maidana (35-5, 31 KOs) is coming off of back to back defeats to WBA/WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr, but Maidana reportedly still wants to fight WBO 147lb champion Manny Pacquiao (56-5-2, 38 KOs) if possible.
Maidana would be an upgrade for Pacquiao from the guys he’s been facing in Tim Bradley and Brandon Rios. He would definitely be an upgrade over Pacquiao’s next opponent Chris Algieri, who will be facing the 35-year-old Pacquiao on November 22nd in Macau, China.
Maidana has the two defeats, but you can’t really count them as losses like you would a normal fighter, because he was beaten by Mayweather, who is arguably the best fighter in all of boxing at this point. There’s no shame in losing to Mayweather because he beats everyone he faces.
It’s scary to think what Maidana could do to Pacquiao if he were to nail him with some of his monstrous shots. For that reason I have a feeling that Maidana would find it impossible to get a fight against Pacquiao.
Bob Arum, Pacquiao’s promoter, might not be willing to let Pacquiao fight a puncher like Maidana due to the danger that Maidana would bring to Pacquiao.
If you look at the guys that Arum has matched Pacquiao up against since his devastating knockout loss to Juan Manuel Marquez, it just looks like Arum has been playing it safe with Pacquiao in order to keep him winning. He might not want to mess up the gravy train by putting Pacquiao in with a fighter that could literally take him apart like Maidana could.
When asked by esnewsreporting.com who will win in a match-up between Maidana and Pacquiao, Maidana’s brother, Fabian Maidana, said “No problem. Chino wins.”
If Maidana is serious about wanting a fight against Pacquiao then he’s going to need to get back in the ring and beat at least one good opponent. It’s doubtful that Arum would be eager to let Pacquiao fight Maidana knowing that it would be a situation where Pacquiao would need to try and top what Mayweather recently did in schooling Maidana last September.
More Boxing News:
- Pacquiao or Mayweather – Who had the better career?
- Terence Crawford: ‘I’ll fight whoever they put in front of me’
- Manny Pacquiao reacts to Floyd Mayweather calling him an “OLD man”
- ESPN2 to Air Some of Boxing’s Most Debated Decisions
- Mikey Garcia: The door is open for Manny Pacquiao fight
- Chocolatito vs. Estrada 2, Haney vs. Campbell & Prograis vs. Hooker in July or August in U.S
- Eddie Hearn talks DAZN and Canelo vs. Saunders for 2020
- Andy Ruiz Jr. – NO days off from training
- Naoya Inoue vs. John Riel Casimero in September in Las Vegas
- Anthony Joshua vs. Kubrat Pulev marketed to the wealthy?