Floyd refuses to answer question at weigh-in about possible home court advantage
(Photo credit: Idris Erba/Stephanie Trapp/Mayweather Promotions) By Raj Parmar: It looks as though Marcos Maidana (35-4, 31 KO’s) is keeping true on his promise to fight at a lighter weight for his rematch with Floyd Mayweather (46-0, 26 KO’s). He weighed in less than Mayweather at 146 pounds while Floyd weighed in at 146.5.
Marcos looked very soft in stomach/abs area while Floyd looked extremely cut up and defined. Muscles don’t always tell the whole story of training camp for a championship fight however it is very clear Mayweather has worked extremely hard the last couple of months.
The MGM Grand Arena was used for the weigh-in due to the massive amount of fans piling in to see the two fighters. The crowd exploded with an “Ole, Ole, Chino” chant as he made his way to the stage and Floyd likewise received a very loud ovation as he stepped to the stage.
After the fighters weighed in, Maidana stated he is very eager to put a blemish on Floyd’s record and no longer wants him to have his zero. Floyd responded by stating that Maidana is absolutely not the best fighter he has fought and beaten, and he will be able to adjust to Maidana’s aggressive fighting style.
The weigh-in ended with a very interesting note, as Showtime commentator Jim Gray bluntly asked Floyd if fighting repeatedly in Las Vegas at the MGM Grand gives him a great advantage over his opponents. Floyd appeared to evade the question by stating that he just likes to appreciate the fans and to thank them for coming. Gray attempted again to ask Floyd if he had an advantage at the MGM but Floyd simply thanked the fans again without specifically answering the question.
With Maidana focusing on speed and endurance versus physical strength for the rematch, he aims to be non-stop aggressive for the full 12 rounds tomorrow night while Floyd looks to dominate Maidana with sharpness and technique.
* Follow https://twitter.com/Raj_Parmar_11 for unofficial round by round scoring on fight night; and detailed live notes will be posted on boxingnews24.com
More Boxing News:
- Floyd Mayweather Jr hinting about an exhibition fight in 2020
- Amir Khan to Marcos Maidana: “Let’s do it again”
- Floyd Mayweather Jr upset at Sugar Ray Leonard ranked #1 at 147
- Floyd Mayweather to fight a couple exhibitions overseas
- Shakur Stevenson: The next Adrien BRONER or Mayweather?
- Vasily Lomachenko vs. Teofimo Lopez looking shaky for October 3
- Hearn offered 4 options to Canelo Alvarez, still NO reply
- Marriaga vs. Yap CANCELLED; Felix Verdejo and Will Madera make weight
- Artur Beterbiev vs. Fanlong Meng on September 25 in Ekaterinburg in Russia
- Chris Arreola has NO sympathy for Andy Ruiz Jr