Maidana: I’m going to win with any glove I wear
By Chris Williams: Ever since the first fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr (46-0, 26 KOs) and Marcos Maidana (35-4, 31 KOs) last May, Maidana and his trainer Robert Garcia have been complaining about MX Everlast Gloves that Maidana couldn’t wear for the last fight.
They wanted to still be able to have that pair of gloves for the rematch with Mayweather, but he told them in clear language that it’s not happening.
Maidana finally seems like he’s finally come to terms with him not being able to wear those gloves, and he now says he feels like he can beat Mayweather using any pair of gloves. That’s what you like to hear.
It’s so much better than Maidana and Garcia holding onto the idea of them getting to wear the MX gloves that Mayweather and Mayweather Promotions CEO Leonard Ellerbe already said that he can’t use. The last thing you want is Maidana to go into his September 13th rematch with Mayweather with a built in excuse ready to be pulled out of his back pocket if/when he loses the fight.
“The bottom line is, this time I’m going to win with any glove I wear.”
That’s what you like to hear from Maidana. He’s sounding like a mature adult and not having a temper tantrum and digging his feet into the sand just because he didn’t get his way with the gloves. He has to realize that he’s the B-side of the equation and he can’t be calling the shots.
I’m sure that if Maidana beats Mayweather on September 13th, as unlikely as it is, Maidana will be in a better bargaining position to demand that he be allowed to wear the gloves of his choosing for the fight. I still don’t think Mayweather will let him wear the MX gloves, but at least Maidana would be in a better position to get heard by Mayweather.
From Mayweather’s perspective, if Maidana is the puncher he says he is, then he should be able to in his fights no matter what type of gloves he wears. A glove is a glove. It’s the person behind those gloves that turn them into tools for victory. If Maidana doesn’t have the talent to win with a pair of gloves, then it really doesn’t matter what gloves he wears.
More Boxing News:
- Amir Khan to Marcos Maidana: “Let’s do it again”
- Floyd Mayweather Jr upset at Sugar Ray Leonard ranked #1 at 147
- Floyd Mayweather to fight a couple exhibitions overseas
- Shakur Stevenson: The next Adrien BRONER or Mayweather?
- Floyd Mayweather reacts to Conor McGregor retiring: ‘I’m waiting to punish you again’
- Michael Hunter: I’d STOP Dillian Whyte; I beat Tyson Fury bad
- Gennadiy Golovkin training for Kamil Szeremeta fight
- Terence Crawford NOT getting Kell Brook fight
- Mike Tyson may have unfinished business
- Hearn against letting Tony Bellew make a comeback