Mayweather confirms Maidana rematch on September 13th – Breaking News!
By Chris Williams: WBA/WBC welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr (46-0, 26 KO’s) announced last Monday night at the pre BET awards that he’ll be facing former WBA 147 pound champion Marcos Maidana (35-4, 31 KO’s) on September 13th in a fight that will be taking place at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Mayweather said “We’re still doing record breaking numbers on pay-per-view. On September 13th, back to business – Marcos Maidana-Floyd Mayweather part 2, and then in May I’m going to have a big surprise for you. Everybody tune in.”
So there it is, Mayweather has confirmed that he’ll be facing Maidana in a rematch on September 13th. This should quiet down the fans who didn’t think he would give the Argentinian a rematch after saying he would. But best of all, the fight will give Mayweather a chance to show the boxing world what he’s capable of doing when he’s not giving a fighter a handicap like he gave Maidana last May when he chose to fight his fight and stay on the ropes for 12 rounds the way Adrien Broner did in his loss to Maidana last December.
Mayweather still beat Maidana at his own game by punching with him, and showed why he’s the best in boxing. But this time on September 13th, Mayweather will be looking to do it in a clean and surgical fashion by putting on a straight clowning for 12 rounds.
The Mayweather-Maidana I fight was scored as a 12 round majority decision with the scores 116-112, 117-111 and 114-114 handed down by the judges. I had it a little wider than 117-111, but it doesn’t really matter.
Mayweather still dominated Maidana and beat him at his own game by doing what he said he would do by going toe-to-toe instead of boxing him the way he could have. You got to give Mayweather his props for doing what he said he was doing to do by slugging with the Argentinian and still beating him. But on September 13th, you can bet that Mayweather will be looking to fight his own game and shutting Maidana out completely.
More Boxing News:
- KSI addresses Mayweather vs. Logan Paul rumors: “This ain’t happening”
- Teofimo Lopez reacts to Mayweather fighting Logan Paul
- Logan Paul not denying Floyd Mayweather fight happening
- Conor McGregor says he carried Floyd Mayweather 3 years ago
- Santa Cruz says Mayweather is training Tank Davis for nothing; he won’t change
- Canelo Alvarez has refiled his lawsuit against Golden Boy and DAZN
- Porter: Erislandy Lara is the next guy for Jermell Charlo at 154
- David Haye warns Usyk: It only takes one shot, Chisora will cause an upset
- Regis Prograis vs. Juan Heraldez on Oct.24 on Tank vs. Santa Cruz card
- Murat Gassiev to face Kevin Johnson on Oct.31 in Russia