Chad Dawson to fight in September, expects world title shot in early 2015
By Allan Fox: Former IBF/WBC light heavyweight champion Chad Dawson (32-3, 18 KO’s) says he’ll be fighting twice more in 2014 before looking to get a world title shot in early 2015 against one of the champions. Dawson, 31, knocked out George Blades (23-6, 16 KO’s) in the 1st round last night in a 3-knockdown performance in an off TV fight at the StubHub Center in Carson, California.
Despite looking a little fat at 202 pounds, Dawson was very impressive in mixing his punches up well from the head to the body in destroying a decent fighter in 39-year-old Blades. Immediately after Dawson put Blades down for a third time and the fight was stopped by referee Raul Caiz Jr at 2:35 of the round.
In an interview with Showtime after the fight, Dawson said he wants to fight in September next and then once more in December before challenging for a world title in the first part of 2015.
“We’ll be stepping up the competition and hopefully by the start of next year I’ll be ready for another world title fight. Hopefully by September I’ll be back in the ring, and then December before Christmas. And then hopefully we’ll be back on top next year we’ll be back right in the picture.”
Dawson said that he’ll be staying at light heavyweight, and that for his next fight, he plans on making the weight at 175 for the division. He came in overweight at 182 for their contracted weight of 179 on Friday.
Dawson does look still capable of winning a world title belt if he can get a shot against IBF/WBA light heavyweight champion Bernard Hopkins or WBA champion Jurgen Braehmer. Those are winnable fights for Dawson. He can hold down a title belt as long as he doesn’t make the mistake of moving down in weight to fight Andre Ward again or if he doesn’t face Sergey Kovalev or Adonis Stevenson.
More Boxing News:
- Boxing results from the weekend: Paddy Donovan, Sergey Rabchenko, Chad Dawson
- Boxing Results: Chad Dawson defeats Quinton Rankin
- Chad Dawson faces Quinton Rankin on June 29
- Keith Thurman vs. Danny Garcia analysis & prediction
- Andrzej Fonfara vs. Chad Dawson on Sat. on CBS
- Boxing History: Charley Burley
- Shawn Porter: Demetrius Andrade beats Jermall Charlo
- Jermall Charlo being avoided by Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin?
- Teofimo warns Lomachenko: ‘I’m putting hands on you on October 17th’
- Mairis Briedis considering a move to heavyweight