Aydin vs. Postol on 5/17; winner becomes Danny Garcia’s WBC mandatory challenger
By Dan Ambrose: #1 WBC Viktor Postol (25-0, 10 KO’s) and #2 WBC Selcuk Aydin (26-2, 19 KO’s) will be facing each other in a WBC 140lb eliminator bout on May 17th on the undercard of the HBO televised fight card between Mike Alvarado and Juan Manuel Marquez at the Forum in Inglewood, California. While casual boxing fans in the U.S may not be familiar with Postol, they familiar with Aydin, as his defeats to Jesus Soto Karass and Robert Guerrero have been televised.
Aydin looked incredibly poor in both fights, and it’s strange that the World Boxing Council would still have Aydin so highly ranked after how badly he was beaten in both of those fights.
Aydin has won his last three fights, albeit against weak opposition in wins over Giuseppe Lauri, DeMarcus Corley and Aaron Herrera. Aydin’s last big win was against Jo-Jo Dan back in 2011. Other tha that, Aydin has wins over weaker opponents.
Postol, 30, narrowly defeated Hank Lundy last year in March in winning by a 12 round decision. Postol showed zero power and wasn’t very impressive at all. The fight looked more like a draw than a win for Postol. Other than that win, Postol also has a victory over journeyman Corley.
Postol vs. Aydin won’t add much to the Alvarado vs. Marquez card. HBO is usually pretty strict about the fights that they give the green light to be televised by their network, but they seem to have lowered their standards with this one. I see this as more of an ESPN2 type of fight than one that should be televised on HBO.
Danny Garcia says he wants to fight once more at 140 before moving up to the welterweight division. It would be very disappointing if his final fight at 140 is against Aydin or Postol because there are much better fighters in the division than either of these guys and it would far more interesting if Garcia took on someone like Lamont Peterson. Garcia isn’t interested in fighting rematches against Lucas Matthysse and Mauricio Herrera, but they’d be much better options than him fighting the winner of the Aydin Postol fight.
More Boxing News:
- Danny Garcia: ‘I saw weakness in Errol Spence, I’ll beat him 100%’
- Spence vs. Garcia: Should Errol take a tune-up before facing Danny?
- Errol Spence Jr. to fight Danny Garcia in comeback fight
- Danny Garcia confirms he’s fighting Pacquiao or Spence in September
- Mikey Garcia targeting Danny G, Thurman, Porter or Crawford
- Gervonta Davis WARNS Ryan Garcia that he’ll slap him
- Mayweather could have ended Canelo’s career – Mauricio Sulaiman
- Chris Eubank Jr. still wants GGG and Canelo this year
- Whyte wants WBC to force Fury to fight him next in 2020
- Shakur Stevenson vs. Felix Caraballo possible for June 9