Weights: Chavez Jr-Vera II & Salido-Lomachenko
It’s good thing for Vera that he’s been sparring with heavyweights to get ready for this fight, because he could be fighting the equivalent of a little heavyweight depending on how much weight Chavez Jr. rehydrates up to by the time he sets foot into the ring on Saturday.
For his part, Vera looked good in coming in a 167.5. He looked like he was ready to fight at that weight without the need to rehydrate. The way that Vera looked compared to Chavez Jr. kind of tells you how much more weight Chavez Jr. will be putting on for the fight, because he looked like a human skeleton at the weigh-in.
Vera is going to need to figure out how to deal with Chavez Jr’s big size advantage in this fight, because he’s going to be giving away a ton of weight when they step inside the ring. Unlike last time, Chavez Jr. will be much busier on Saturday night because he’s been working more on his conditioning. What’s troubling is that Chavez Jr. is still so heavy despite all the work he’s put in. That tells me that he should be either fighting at light heavyweight or cruiserweight instead of melting down to 168 to fight against lighter super middleweights.
In a big surprise, Orlando Salido (40-12-2, 28 KO’s) lost his WBO featherweight title today when he failed to make the 126 lb weight limit for his title defense against challenger Vasyl Lomachenko (1-0, 1 KO’s). Salido came in at 128.5 lbs, and he didn’t bother to try and take off the extra 2.5 lbs that he was over. It’s probably a good thing that he didn’t, because taking off all that weight would have greatly weakened Salido and that’s the last thing he needs is to be weak for this fight.
Lomachenko weighed in at 125.25 lbs. He’ll have the chance to win the now vacant WBO featherweight title if he can beat Salido on Saturday night in their co-feature bout. If Salido wins, the WBO belt will remain vacant until the two top contenders selected by the World Boxing Organization fight for the title.
More Boxing News:
- Boxing Results: Julio Cesar Chavez Jr obliterates Jeyson Minda
- Teofimo Lopez refuses to give Lomachenko a rematch
- Boxing: How to score a Fight (and how not to!)
- Mikey Garcia talks Lomachenko defeat & injury; Tank vs. Santa Cruz prediction
- Billy Joe Saunders vs. Martin Murray – live results
- Lawrence Okolie vs. Michal Cieslak possible for Dec.12th for WBO cruiserweight belt
- Saunders needs to impress against Murray to get Canelo’s attention
- Live Stream: Errol Spence Jr. Vs. Danny Garcia Fox Weigh In