Mayweather vs. Khan: A great fight
By Abbad Ashraf: Floyd Mayweather Jr. has a natural defense against pressure fighters, as we’ve seen in his last fight with Saul “Canelo” Alvarez. Mayweather picks it’s prey carefully choosing opponents that are not be able to break his armor. You have to respect that he defends himself against his opponent’s best assets efficiently and effectively through the pre-fight terms and timing.
Mayweather has sufficient power but not capable of crushing his opponents. He is not a impervious fighter as Muhammad Ali. Amir Khan and Manny Pacquiao, and other elite level fighters that challenge Mayweather’s supremacy over his time era.
Mayweather’s new Showtime/CBS contract makes it not so easy for him to pick easy fights, so he has to shift his attention to Pacquiao and Khan. Most fighters don’t understand the beast that is camouflaged to cloak from top-level attention.
Mayweather, Khan, and Pacquiao all have speed but as each one gets faster in certain aspects of boxing the others shifts into higher gears. Each has a sense of distance and range. Their styles consist of punches from different angles and tempo. In the fight between Mayweather and Khan, I don’t expect Mayweather to be able to retreat as easy as the general rule “You can’t hit what you can’t see” (Ali). I respect Mayweather’s business management; it is the envy of all boxers before him, but his style impresses only feminine predators with features like hit, dodge, reset, defend (offensive exchanges would make Mayweather TBE), then reset again.
In his last fight with Canelo, you saw Mayweather choosing not to exchange with him, which is discouraging to watch as a boxing fan who prefers boxers to be violent with no regard for life in survival of the fittest.
Based on the position of Mayweather’s orientation with Khan’s fighting style it could be the deciding factor in the fight. The fearsome looking Pacquiao is still a threat to all challengers. Khan will have success in attacking and defending.
Mayweather may avoid being lunch for some fighters by using constant movement, but will he be on the hunt in fights against Khan and Pacquiao. These guys are quick and lethal with no rule except kill or be killed with the unbreakable will of determined warriors.
Will Mayweather be able to fend off Khan? Will Khan need a big shot to take Mayweather? A punch similar to Juan Manuel Marquez and Pacquiao would do the trick for Khan.
More Boxing News:
- KSI addresses Mayweather vs. Logan Paul rumors: “This ain’t happening”
- Teofimo Lopez reacts to Mayweather fighting Logan Paul
- Logan Paul not denying Floyd Mayweather fight happening
- Amir Khan says Terence Crawford can beat Floyd Mayweather
- Amir Khan says Kell Brook doesn’t want to fight him
- Tyson Fury: It’s too soon for Whyte to face Povetkin
- Freddie Roach tells Conor Mcgregor, Pacquiao beats you easier than Hatton
- Gary Russell gives Devin Haney final ultimatum for terms
- Boxing Results: Tony Yoka destroys Johann Duhaupas in 1st round TKO
- Ellerbe predicts Charlo vs. Derevyanchenko & Jermell vs. Rosario outcomes