Boxing News - Latest Headlines


Marquez is first target for Pacquiao’s next fight

By Alon Calinao Dy: On Nov. 23, 2013 at the Grand Venetian Hotel and Resort in China, we’d seen a successful comeback of Manny Pacquiao when he defeated the young fearless Mexican-American Brandon Rios that many people had thought a mismatch and one-sided decision victory for the Filipino boxing superstar.


Now, some pundits and experts are speculating about a fifth possible bout of two veteran boxers Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez. Perhaps, their business is not over yet and we are going to see a tentative fight on April 2014.

Marquez, on the other hand, refused to comment about the possibility, and is actually looking an opponent early next year after Timothy Bradley beat him. He also had a near beating last year, but he managed to survive from Pacquiao’s flurry of punches when he landed a deadly strike that knocked the Filipino boxer out.


Until now, a plethora of critics and boxing fans called him a “lucky puncher” and labeled him a coward for not manning up against Pacquiao. They criticized him when he said he wouldn’t fight the Filipino congressman again no matter how good the offer is.

The worst accusation others said was, he used illegal substances before the scheduled encounter to enhance his stamina, as well as his power punch in order to win by knockout.

Whether Marquez took steroids or not, we never had any evidences why he has sudden power and rapid growth of muscles on his body. But one thing I knew, he won an impressive war against long-time rival Pacquiao whether it was a “lucky punch” or not. Critics should give him a credit for this one.

However, Pacquiao’s diehard fans raised their questions to Marquez, why he is denying another epic battle against Pacquiao now? Is it for a record or just want to dictate their negotiations and demand for a big payday? As we all know, Pacquiao had given him chances before. Now, it’s the time for Marquez to return that favor.

But the question now for most boxing fans, is it really going to be Marquez or someone else? If it does, it’s good for the sport of boxing because we are going to see if Manny Pacquiao is on the mission to avenge his loss or not, or if Marquez’s punch was a form of good luck last year. That’s for everyone to watch if ever they meet again.

Follow me in twitter @alon_dy

Peter Cope Returns On Big Newcastle Bill

Hartlepool’s Peter Cope gets the chance to put recent frustrations behind him on December 7, when he appears at Newcastle’s Centre for Sport on Ringstar Promotions’ maiden show.

The undefeated super-featherweight was due to challenge Newcastle’s Dougie Curran for the Northern Area title in September but, after Curran was forced out through injury, ‘Copey’ was left high and dry.

Now, as part of the undercard to Martin Ward’s Commonwealth bantamweight title challenge against Gabriel Odoi Laryea, Peter is desperate to get back between the ropes and remind people why he is rated as one of the top prospects from the North East.

“I’m really looking forward to the show,” said Cope, who is will be having his ninth fight, “and it’s been good to work with Mark [Clauzel] who knows what it’s like from a fighter’s point of view.

“I was devastated about the Curran fight. I’d locked myself away for eight weeks and was in the best shape of my life, but I believe everything happens for a reason. I don’t think Curran wants the fight.

“It’s been frustrating for me because I’m happy to fight anyone at feather or super-feather but not really getting any opportunities.”

Next up, the 22-year-old is slated to take on experienced former British title challenger, Sean Hughes. The Yorkshireman has been in with some of Britain’s best little men, including Hartlepool’s former world title challenger Michael Hunter, and Cope is expecting a tough fight.

“I want titles next year, maybe an English or Commonwealth, and I want to gain some championship experience. I feel I’ve done my apprenticeship and I’d like to test myself.

“I think Sean Hughes is better than I have fought previously, so I expect a hard tricky fight and I need a good performance to get myself on track again.”

Promoter Mark Clauzel stated: “Peter is a very good fighter and he proved how tough he is when he came through a real war with Gavin Reid last year. He’s not had much luck with injuries and pull-outs but if he can come through his fight with Sean Hughes then hopefully we can get something big for him next year. Hughes will be no pushover though so he’ll have to be on top form.

“This show will be fantastic entertainment and the headliner, Ward versus Laryea, will be worth the ticket price alone. The undercard is full of some of the North East’s best fighters and this is just the start of some very big things for boxing in Newcastle.”

Ringstar Promotions presents Martin Ward contesting the vacant Commonwealth bantamweight championship against Gabriel Odoi Laryea at Newcastle’s Centre for Sport on December 7. The undercard will feature Hartlepool’s Peter Cope; South Shields’ Anthony Nelson; Newcastle’s Andrew Buchanan; County Durham’s Tommy Ward; Gateshead’s Rob Ismay; Northumberland’s Lewis Scott, and Sunderland’s Danny Hughes.

Tickets are available from all boxers or from the Centre for Sport on 0191 241 7700.

Change Of Venue For McIntyre-Couzens Nov 30th Title Fight

It’s all change for the Joel McIntyre and Danny Couzens International Light Heavyweight International Masters title clash, which headlines the TRAD TKO Events promoted BRAGGING RIGHTS event on Saturday 30th November, after a local objection to a boxing event taking place at the original venue, South Parade Pier in Southsea.

The date remains the same, but the event will now take place at the Liquid & Envy nightclub, Connaught Drill Hall, Stanhope Road in Portsmouth.

Doors open at 5:30pm and the first fight will be at 6:30pm.

The Championship weigh-in for McIntyre and Couzens will now also take place at Liquid & Envy, at 5pm on Friday 29th November.

Joel McIntyre versus Danny Couzens, International Masters Light Heavyweight Title clash, headlines the Johnny Eames TRAD TKO Events promoted ‘Bragging Rights’ event at the Liquid & Envy nightclub, Connaught Drill Hall, Stanhope Road in Portsmouth on Saturday 30th November 2014

Tickets, priced £25 (Standard) – £70 (Ringside) – £10 (Under 18 years old) are available direct from Joel McIntyre – Tel: 07557 516657

Comments are closed.

Subscribe (Free!)
Search

The views expressed in all articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of BoxingNews24 or its affiliates.

Facebook Button Twitter Button Twitter Button

Privacy Statement l  Back to top of page l Cookies Policy l Boxing Resources l Contact Us