Ricardo Mayorga looking to make comeback, calling out the big names
By Boxing Muse – @boxingmuse – The wildest man in boxing is looking to make a comeback since his March 2011 bout versus Miguel Cotto for the WBA Light Middleweight title. The Nicaraguan Ricardo Mayorga (29-8-1, 23 KO’s) who is now 39 soon to be 40 in October certainly gives you value for money when he does fight and you cannot accuse him of ducking anyone. Although he usually loses at world level he seems to literally fear no man.
It is safe to say that Mayorga doesn’t live the life of a professional boxer having been known to smoke during training camps but his choice of lifestyle doesn’t seem to affect his brut courage and tenacity even if his boxing skills are very raw, I believe his will to fight makes him a tough opponent to not underestimate.
El Matador whose twitter account is @THEREALMAYORGA, took to the social networking site to try and reel in big names as potential opponents in the welterweight, light-middleweight and even middle weight division. Calling out Ortiz, Golovkin, Chavez Jr., Guerrero, Berto, Kirkland and even a rematch with Cotto.
Personally I would love to see the return of Mayorga as he never disappoints in victory or defeat, truly a unpredictable character who fights with such rage. As we all know the build-up to his fights provide the public with great entertainment even before he gets in the ring to let his wild shots go.
It would be safe to say the names mentioned above would be heavy favourites if they were to box Ricardo. The advantage of fighting Mayorga is that he tends to bring the best out of boxers. With the exception of beating the late and great Vernon Forrest twice you could classify Mayorga as the most dangerous journeyman guarding the gates of world level boxing, when he does so decide to compete.
Time will tell if we will see the loco Nicaraguan return to the ring but boxing needs characters like him and as there is one guarantee if he’s in a boxing ring you’re going to see excitement.
More Boxing News:
- Mosley’s win over Mayorga proves nothing
- Shane Mosley vs. Ricardo Mayorga tonight: Which one of these two wins?
- Mosley – Mayorga battle it out at The Forum!
- Weights: Mosley 159.4, Mayorga 165.4
- Fake Butt Slap? Shane Mosley fires back at the WBC
- Oleksandr Usyk ready to “explode” against Dereck Chisora on Saturday
- Dave Allen taking risky fight against Christopher Lovejoy on Saturday
- VIDEO: Floyd is Right – Too many belts in Boxing
- Opinion: PPVs and Subscriptions – The Cost of Consuming Boxing
- Kell Brook – The Last Dance!