Gavin Rees vs. Anthony Crolla on June 29th at the Bolton Arena
By Scott Gilfoid: 33-year-old Gavin Rees (37-2-1, 18 KO’s) will be facing Anthony Crolla (25-4-1, 9 KO’s) this month on June 29th at the Bolton, Arena, Bolton, UK. The winner of the fight could land himself a fight against WBO lightweight champion Ricky Burns or at least that’s what’s being talked about.
Rees was stopped in his last fight by WBC lightweight champion Adrien Broner in a 5th round stoppage last February. Rees looked terrible and over-matched.
Crolla, 26, is coming off of a controversial 12 round draw against Derry Mathews last March in a fight that many boxing fans had Crolla winning.
I personally scored the fight for Mathews, as I thought Crolla didn’t land with the same kind of power or even close to the same kind of power as Mathews did in that fight.
Crolla had previously been stopped in the 6th round by Mathews last year.
This fight has a huge difference in experience and power between the two of them. Rees is a much bigger puncher and he’s got a lot more experience going for him than Crolla does.
As bad as Rees looked in his loss to Broner, I think he’s going to look a lot better in this fight with Crolla. I wouldn’t be surprised if Crolla ends up looking as overmatched as Rees was in his loss to Broner. We’re talking different levels here.
Rees easily beat Mathews, who in turn beat Crolla in their first fight and arguably should have gotten another win in their second fight.
The only way that Rees doesn’t beat Crolla on June 29th is if Crolla is able to get a stoppage win. There’s no way he’s going to beat Rees by a decision, no way.
If Crolla, a light hitter, is able to stop Rees then you have to wonder whether the punishment that Rees took in his loss to Broner may have taken something out of him to make him susceptible to shots to the head.
More Boxing News:
- Khan beats Mayweather and Pacquiao, says Gavin Rees
- Gavin Rees may retire if he loses to Buckland on Saturday
- Gavin Rees vs. Gary Buckland this Saturday in Wales
- Gavin Rees vs Anthony Crolla Preview
- Gavin Rees vs. Anthony Crolla on June 29th at the Bolton Arena
- Alexander Povetkin ready for Dillian Whyte
- Vergil Ortiz Jr in a hurry to face Terence Crawford
- Tureano Johnson and Jason Quigley added to the list for Canelo Alvarez’s next fight
- Canelo vs. Golovkin III targeted for May 2021
- Keith Thurman: Spence is going to have to see me at 147 or leave the division