Froch’s promoter: We’ll fight Ward when the time is right
By Scott Gilfoid: Eddie Hearn, the promoter for IBF/WBA super middleweight champion Carl Froch (31-2, 22 KO’s), has ruled out a fight between him and Andre Ward for near the end of year. Instead, Hearn says that they have different priorities in terms of opponents.
Hearn said to I Film London today “We’re not going to bow down to Andre Ward, saying here’s a pile of money…we’ll do that when the time is right…there maybe fights that take priority before that.”
So there it is. Hearn reveals his innermost thoughts about the Froch-Ward fight. I had a strong feeling it was going to be like this because Hearn has seemed highly interested in a third fight between Froch and Kessler.
Each time he brings it up, Hearn gets this weird look on his face like he’s hit the jackpot. I guess it’s the biggest money fight he’s promoted, so he wants to go back to that one instead of the unknown of a Froch vs. Ward II fight. I mean, I think the Froch vs. Ward fight would do really well if it were staged in the UK and sold on PPV.
I bet it would do as well as the Froch-Kessler II fight. The difference here is that the outcome wouldn’t be favorable for Froch. He’d make all that money and then lose badly to Ward, all those paying fans will have seen Froch lose.
Hearn is probably afraid of those fans not wanting to see future Froch fights if he gets whipped especially bad by Ward, and I can certainly understand that. If I paid 15 pounds to see Froch fight Ward, I wouldn’t want to pay to see Froch’s future fights if Ward clowns him.
Why pay to see a guy fight when he just beaten badly? So I can understand why Hearn might have other “priorities” for Froch to fight rather than Ward. I do think Hearn will eventually put Froch in with Ward, but only after Froch has exhausted all the other “priorities” that Hearn has for him.
More Boxing News:
- Andre Ward doesn’t see Anthony Joshua beating Tyson Fury
- Anthony Joshua responds to Carl Froch’s complaining about P4P list
- Carl Froch NOT interested in Andre Ward rematch
- Bernard Hopkins: Roy Jones Jr. beats Andre Ward
- Carl Froch fires back at Joe Calzaghe
- New options for Canelo Alvarez’s fight in September
- Adrien Broner says he’s going back to the STREETS without $10 million
- Julio Cesar Martinez – is he the next star at 112?
- Fury wants to surpass Mayweather and Canelo with biggest contract
- Devin Haney vs. Luke Campbell – Hearn wants this next