Froch’s promoter: We’ll fight Ward when the time is right
By Scott Gilfoid: Eddie Hearn, the promoter for IBF/WBA super middleweight champion Carl Froch (31-2, 22 KO’s), has ruled out a fight between him and Andre Ward for near the end of year. Instead, Hearn says that they have different priorities in terms of opponents.
Hearn said to I Film London today “We’re not going to bow down to Andre Ward, saying here’s a pile of money…we’ll do that when the time is right…there maybe fights that take priority before that.”
So there it is. Hearn reveals his innermost thoughts about the Froch-Ward fight. I had a strong feeling it was going to be like this because Hearn has seemed highly interested in a third fight between Froch and Kessler.
Each time he brings it up, Hearn gets this weird look on his face like he’s hit the jackpot. I guess it’s the biggest money fight he’s promoted, so he wants to go back to that one instead of the unknown of a Froch vs. Ward II fight. I mean, I think the Froch vs. Ward fight would do really well if it were staged in the UK and sold on PPV.
I bet it would do as well as the Froch-Kessler II fight. The difference here is that the outcome wouldn’t be favorable for Froch. He’d make all that money and then lose badly to Ward, all those paying fans will have seen Froch lose.
Hearn is probably afraid of those fans not wanting to see future Froch fights if he gets whipped especially bad by Ward, and I can certainly understand that. If I paid 15 pounds to see Froch fight Ward, I wouldn’t want to pay to see Froch’s future fights if Ward clowns him.
Why pay to see a guy fight when he just beaten badly? So I can understand why Hearn might have other “priorities” for Froch to fight rather than Ward. I do think Hearn will eventually put Froch in with Ward, but only after Froch has exhausted all the other “priorities” that Hearn has for him.
More Boxing News:
- Carl Froch: Kell Brook is cashing out against Terence Crawford on Nov.14
- Andre Ward previews Vasiliy Lomachenko vs. Teofimo Lopez
- ESPN Re-Signs Andre Ward to New Multi-Year Deal
- Froch says Mike Tyson could gas after 4 rounds against Roy Jones Jr
- Andre Ward takes a shot at Eddie Hearn
- Jaime Munguia vs. Tureano Johnson – preview & prediction for Oct.30
- ESPN ranks Terence Crawford #1 pound-for-pound, above Errol Spence
- Eddie Hearn blew chance to ink Tyson Fury in 2017
- Gary Russell Jr wants Miguel Berchelt at 130, asks WBC to order fight
- Adrien Broner gives Redkach the Mayweather treatment