Cotto possible for September 28th in Brooklyn, New York
By Dan Ambrose: Miguel Cotto (37-4, 30 KO’s) could be back in action on September 28th at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York in a non-pay per view fight against an opponent still to be determined. Golden Boy Promotions has set aside the Barclays Center for that date for Cotto and all he needs now is an opponent.
You can forget Cotto fighting WBA/WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez because Canelo plans on fighting on September 14th, the Mexican holiday Cinco de Mayo and he won’t be looking to fight at a later date in the month.
Showtime only has room for one pay per view event in the month of September, according to Dan Rafael, and they won’t attempt to make the September 28th date a PPV event as well.
Canelo and Golden Boy Promotions have made it clear that his next fight will be a PPV bout, and that rules him out as Cotto’s next opponent for September 28th.
Floyd Mayweather isn’t going to give up September 14th to the less popular Canelo, so he’s not a possibility for Cotto either.
There’s talk of Cotto possibly fight former IBF light middleweight champion Cornelius Bundrage on September 28th, but that’s not a great fight for Cotto because Bundrage doesn’t have a title, he’s not a real popular fighter, and he can punch a little.
There’s a good chance Cotto could lose to Bundrage and have not much to show for his loss. If Cotto makes this fight he could be very sorry he did so because there’s no upside to it.
Former WBC welterweight champion Victor Ortiz would be the perfect opponent for Cotto to fight because Ortiz hasn’t fought since June of last year when he was stopped on an injury to Josesito Lopez.
Ortiz has a fairly big fan base, he can punch and it would be a winnable fight for Cotto if he were able to pressure him enough.
This would be a fight that would get a lot of attention and it would help Cotto with his career because right now he’s lost his last two fights and he can’t afford another loss.
More Boxing News:
- Hearn wants fighters to agree to 50-50 match-ups
- Alex Saucedo vs. Sonny Fredrickson on June 30
- The Symbol of Soul City Boxing Gym…Otha Jones III
- WBC to reduce sanctioning fees for fighters
- Josh Warrington wants Shakur Stevenson ‘SOONER rather than later’
- Dillian Whyte wants Francis Ngannou fight
- New options for Canelo Alvarez’s fight in September
- Adrien Broner says he’s going back to the STREETS without $10 million
- Julio Cesar Martinez – is he the next star at 112?
- Fury wants to surpass Mayweather and Canelo with biggest contract