Mayweather: This fight [against Guerrero] is already sold because of me
By Allan Fox: Floyd Mayweather Jr. doesn’t feel the need to out and market his upcoming May 4th fight against Robert “The Ghost” Guerrero because he feels like the fight is already guaranteed to be a huge success just because he’s in it.
Mayweather thinks that Guerrero should be the one that works hard to build up interest in the fight because he hasn’t made it to the next level.
Mayweather said to Showtime: “What does it take to sell this fight? The fight is sold already because of me. It’s a Mayweather weekend, it’s a Mayweather show. Robert Guerrero, only thing he has to do is just show up.”
Mayweather has a good point about the fight being a success just by him being involved in it, but it would be more successful if he were to do what Guerrero is doing by going from city to city meeting with the media to talk about the fight.
It would also help if Mayweather would give more interviews to boxing sites to make the fight bigger. The problem is Mayweather has huge money guaranteed to him already with his six-fight, $250 million contract with Showtime/CBS, so he doesn’t have the same kind of motivation that Guerrero has to try and get as many people interested in that fight as possible.
“Why did he go on tour and I didn’t? It’s not unfair,” Mayweather said. “What he has to do is earn his stripes, not just in the ring. Tell the people why what you bring to the table, that’s different from any other fighter. You say you want to sit at the top of the throne. You want to have the crown on your head. You want to be champion. It’s a lot of ground work to get to this level. Floyd Mayweather already earned his stripes.”
We’ll soon see if the fight is going to be a huge success, but it might not be as big as Mayweather thinks it’s going to be and I think he could be doing a much better job if he helped Guerrero out by going on a tour of the major cities in the U.S to market the fight.
Guerrero seems to have pulled back in his traveling around the U.S after his arrest in New York for a weapons possession. Before that, Guerrero was doing the marketing of the fight pretty much on his own by giving countless interviews to the point where it was getting in the way of his training.
More Boxing News:
- Mayweather justifies training Haney: ‘He’s NOT fighting Tank’
- Mayweather & Haney working out on mitts; Tank Davis still a problem
- Gervonta Davis days with Mayweather Promotions could be numbered
- Pacquiao or Mayweather – Who had the better career?
- Devin Haney hanging with Mayweather, says Teofimo Lopez never sent offer
- Chocolatito vs. Estrada 2, Haney vs. Campbell & Prograis vs. Hooker in July or August in U.S
- Eddie Hearn talks DAZN and Canelo vs. Saunders for 2020
- Andy Ruiz Jr. – NO days off from training
- Naoya Inoue vs. John Riel Casimero in September in Las Vegas
- Anthony Joshua vs. Kubrat Pulev marketed to the wealthy?