Barrera questions where Marquez got his power for his last Pacquiao fight
By Chris Williams: Marco Antonio Barrera says he was surprised by Juan Manuel Marquez’s sudden emergence of power for his last fight against Manny Pacquiao last December in which Marquez (55-6-1, 40 KO’s) knocked Pacquiao out in the 6th round.
Barrera, who is in the Philippines this weekend to watch Moises Fuentes in his fight against Donnie Nietes said to sunstar.com.ph “Marquez doesn’t have power. I don’t know what happened. Everybody can see the difference of the Marquez today and the Marquez of the past. Maybe he has a very good doctor.”
I think Barrera needs to take a quick look at Marquez’s boxing resume because there are 40 knocked out fighters on his resume that are saying that Marquez does have power. How can you look at Marquez’s resume of 55-6-1, 40 KO’s and say he doesn’t have power.
Marquez has a KO percentage of 64%, and that’s more than good enough to knock someone out, especially a fighter like Pacquiao who walked into a big right hand from Marquez in the 6th.
If Barrera wants to understand where Marquez’s power came from he needs to look at the fact that Pacquiao helped generate Marquez’s power by moving into the punch that hit him by rushing him. Maybe that’s not Pacquiao’s fault because it was his trainer Freddie Roach who kept pushing Pacquiao to fight more aggressively for the last Marquez fight, saying that he wants to find the Pacquiao of 25, the Pacquiao that used to be an aggressive all out fighter.
What Roach seems to forget is that when Pacquiao was 25, he was mostly fighting lesser guys that were nowhere near as good as Marquez, so he was able to get away with fighting like a wild man to overwhelm his opponents.
As for Barrera’s comment about Marquez maybe having a good doctor, Barrera needs to know that Marquez passed all the drug tests before and after his fight with Pacquiao last December. Marquez beat Pacquiao on natural ability by training hard, adding muscle the old fashioned way by using resistance exercises, and he used his new strength to knock Pacquiao out cold.
More Boxing News:
- Jose Ramirez: Mikey Garcia hits harder than Manny Pacquiao
- Mikey Garcia: ‘Manny Pacquiao WANTS a fight with me’
- Mikey Garcia has Manny Pacquiao at top of his list for his next opponent
- Amir Khan denies being put DOWN by Manny Pacquiao in sparring
- Golovkin will HURT Pacquiao says trainer Abel Sanchez
- Should Terence Crawford move back down to 140lbs?
- Emanuel Navarrete set to move up to 126
- Vasiliy Lomachenko vs. Teofimo Lopez moved to October 3 in Las Vegas
- Ryan Garcia dares Golden Boy to RELEASE him if they don’t believe in his abilities
- Floyd Mayweather Jr hinting about an exhibition fight in 2020