Barrera: Pacquiao shouldn’t fight Marquez again
By Chris Williams: Boxing great Marco Antonio Barrera doesn’t see the point in Manny Pacquiao choosing to fight Juan Manuel Marquez (55-6-1, 40 KO’s) a fifth time. Barrera, who lost to Pacquiao twice in his career and considers him a friend, says he would rather Pacquiao move on and fight someone else.
Barrera said this as quoted by sunstar.com.ph “To me, personally, why make a fifth fight? Manny should think about his career if he should continue or not. He is a very good person.”
Yes, it would be a pity if Pacquiao fought Marquez again and possibly got hurt. It looks like Barrera is concerned with Pacquiao getting hurt by Marquez judging by his comments. He really cares about his health, and no doubt he saw what other boxing fans saw in that Pacquiao reacted slowly to right hands thrown at him by Marquez.
Pacquiao was hit twice by hard right hands by Marquez in their fight last December, and both times, Pacquiao hit the deck. On the second time, Pacquiao didn’t get back up for two minutes, as he was knocked out cold by Marquez’s right hand in the 6th.
Pacquiao and his promoter Bob Arum need to stop chasing after Marquez, and just let the man be. He already said he’s had his fill with facing Pacquiao, and he wants to move on to face other guys, but Pacquiao’s promoter Arum badly wants to set Pacquiao up with Marquez in a rematch in September. Arum should realize, and Pacquiao too, that putting him back in with Marquez in a fifth fight could be like taking a lamb to the slaughter.
Pacquiao was a good fighter, and still is, but Marquez has always had the Filipino’s number, and we saw in their last fight that he really has his number now. Pacquiao doesn’t need to get hit with anymore of Marquez’s right hands because the next time they fight Pacquiao could get really hurt. You can see that Barrera is worried about Pacquiao, and he’s doing the right thing by trying to persuade him not to take a fifth fight with Marquez.
More Boxing News:
- Pacquiao inks new deal with Paradigm Sports, is Conor McGregor next up?
- Manny Pacquiao interested in Conor McGregor fight
- Mikey Garcia says he’s fighting Manny Pacquiao next 100%, not Conor McGregor
- Pacquiao has started training after Conor McGregor Tweet
- Freddie Roach tells Conor Mcgregor, Pacquiao beats you easier than Hatton
- Keith Thurman says he’s fighting Errol Spence in 2021
- Let’s be honest about Vasily Lomachenko
- Lomachenko has undergone shoulder surgery following loss to Teofimo Lopez
- Lomachenko vs. Lopez peaked at around 3 million viewers on ESPN
- Dave Allen needs new opponent, Christian Hammer tests for COVID 19