Mayweather has six approved opponents for six-fight contract with Showtime/CBS
By Allan Fox: Floyd Mayweather Jr. has already approved six opponents for his six-fight contract with Showtime/CBS. According to the Boston Herald these are the fighters that are rumored that Mayweather has approved of to fight for his 30 months $250 million contract with Showtime/CBS: Guerrero, Marcos Maidana, Alfredo Angulo, Danny Garcia, Saul “Canelo” Alvarez and Devon Alexander.
Of that list, only Canelo would be considered a dangerous opponent for Floyd. Garcia is a light welterweight, Alexander tends to clinch a lot, Angulo is a slow 154 pounder, Maidana is also very slow, and Guerrero is a straight up fighter with little in the way of defensive skills. Missing from this list is Manny Pacquiao, the fighter that boxing fans feel would be Mayweather’s biggest threat.
If all Mayweather Jr. has to do is beat Canelo, Angulo, Guerrero, Alexander, Garcia and Maidana in order to complete his six-fight contract within 30 months for Showtime/CBS then they’re not putting a lot of pressure on him. Pacquiao’s name should be in that list as well as Amir Khan, Lucas Matthysse, Keith Thurman and Austin Trout. Alvarez is a good fighter, but he’s pretty slow and is like a bigger version of Juan Manuel Marquez.
Mayweather already proved that he can beat Marquez with ease, so it’s likely that Canelo will be no problems for Mayweather. Canelo obviously will be coming next after the Guerrero fight because Mayweather is going to want to get the most difficult fight out of the way as quick as possible in order to avoid facing him a year or two down the line when he starts to lose more of his skills.
It’s still a very winnable fight for Mayweather no matter when he faces Canelo because his style is made to order for him.
Garcia is someone whose situation is kind of precarious right now. Unless Golden Boy keeps him away from Matthysse and Amir Khan, we could see Garcia beaten in 2013. At that point there will be no reason for Mayweather to fight him. He’ll have to switch out Garcia’s name and insert Khan or Matthysse.
More Boxing News:
- Teofimo Lopez reacts to Mayweather fighting Logan Paul
- Logan Paul not denying Floyd Mayweather fight happening
- Conor McGregor says he carried Floyd Mayweather 3 years ago
- Santa Cruz says Mayweather is training Tank Davis for nothing; he won’t change
- Gervonta Davis training with Floyd Mayweather, preparing for Santa Cruz
- Devin Haney and Yuriorkis Gamboa reach an agreement for Nov.7 fight on DAZN
- Fury advises Joshua to vacate WBO belt to duck Oleksandr Usyk
- Jose Pedraza dominates Javier Molina in one-sided 10-round decision win
- Boxing Results: Erickson Lubin decisions Terrell Gausha; Jaron Ennis KOs Abreu
- Daniel Jacobs could face Gabe Rosado or John Ryder in the fall