Marquez doesn’t owe Pacquiao another rematch
By Chris Williams: After having dominated Manny Pacquiao in their four previous fights there’s really no point in 39-year-old Juan Manuel Marquez to fight Pacquiao again. Marquez proved that he’s the better fighter in the series by knocking Pacquiao out cold last December, and that pretty much put the exclamation point on his superior talent.
At this point I think Marquez shouldn’t waste his time fighting the Filipino a fifth time because the outcomes of the fight will likely fall into one of two categories: Either Marquez will knock Pacquiao out cold again or he’ll end up getting jobbed for a fourth time.
Unless is okay with going into the fight figuring he may have to knock Pacquiao senseless to win, I think it’s a waste of time. We’ve already seen Marquez dominate Pacquiao enough, and it’s pointless for him to do it again. Why would anyone want to see Marquez have to continue to show the boxing world that he’s the better fighter when he’s already done it four times in the past?
Pacquiao’s fans that want to see him fight Marquez again remind me of someone who has lost numerous times and they keep asking for one more chance to try and prove themselves so they can maybe get that one win. It’s useless already. The boxing world has seen the four fights between Pacquiao and Marquez, and they know now that Marquez is the better fighter of the two, so there’s no reason on earth for Marquez to have to whip Pacquiao yet again.
It would be better that Marquez not fight Pacquiao again because he could end up seriously hurting him if they step inside the ring for a fifth time next September. Marquez would be doing Pacquiao and his promoter Bob Arum a huge favor by not agreeing to a 5th fight because if Pacquiao gets knocked cold again, he’s pretty much going to be at the end of his career. I’m sure that he’ll keep fighting because I see him fighting until he reaches his 40s, but it’s probably going to be bad from here on out for him.
Marquez should retire and let Pacquiao deal with what’s left his career. Marquez manages his money well, so he’s going to need to keep fighting just to keep his revenue stream going.
More Boxing News:
- Pacquiao inks new deal with Paradigm Sports, is Conor McGregor next up?
- Manny Pacquiao interested in Conor McGregor fight
- Mikey Garcia says he’s fighting Manny Pacquiao next 100%, not Conor McGregor
- Pacquiao has started training after Conor McGregor Tweet
- Freddie Roach tells Conor Mcgregor, Pacquiao beats you easier than Hatton
- Keith Thurman says he’s fighting Errol Spence in 2021
- Let’s be honest about Vasily Lomachenko
- Lomachenko has undergone shoulder surgery following loss to Teofimo Lopez
- Lomachenko vs. Lopez peaked at around 3 million viewers on ESPN
- Dave Allen needs new opponent, Christian Hammer tests for COVID 19