Haye: If Vitali fights one more time, it’s going to be against me
By Scott Gilfoid: David Haye (26-2, 24 KO’s) doesn’t know if WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitschko will ever fight again, but if he does he thinks it’s going to be against him. Haye feels he earned the shot against Vitali by destroying fellow Brit Dereck Chisora last year in July in a 5th round TKO.
Before that, Vitali’s manager had said if he wanted to fight Vitali, he should face Chisora and beat him. Haye took at him literally and went ahead and faced Chisora and made easy work with him.
It’s not as if there wasn’t anything in writing and it wasn’t Vitali who told Haye to fight Chisora, so it really doesn’t matter that Haye beat Chisora. He’s still likely not going to get the fight with Vitali.
Haye told talksport.co.uk “If he’s Vitali] going to have one last big fight…I say that’s going to be against myself…I’m looking at knocking out Vitali Klitschko and regaining the heavyweight championship of the world.”
Haye is kidding himself. If Vitali does choose to fight again, it won’t be against Haye because he’s not going to want to face a guy that he’ll have to chase around the ring like Nikokay Valuev and Wladimir Klitschko had to do when they fought Haye.
Vitali wants someone that will go right at him and make it easy for him to KO them. Haye would be the opposite of that type of opponent because he would circle the ring for 12 rounds, and probably just look to survive.
Haye really needs to stop talking and start fighting if he wants to get some important fights with the time he has left. Haye could had already fought twice since his July fight and earned the same money he would have gotten against Vitali by taking on David Price and Tyson Fury. Those two fights combined what have given Haye the money he’d get against Vitali.
More Boxing News:
- David Haye reacts to Tyson Fury win: ‘I was so WRONG’
- David Haye previews Deontay Wilder vs. Tyson Fury 2
- John Fury and David Haye debate Wilder vs Fury 2 rematch
- David Haye: ‘Deontay Wilder is the HARDEST punching heavyweight ever’
- Joshua vs Ruiz II undercard: Filip Hrgovic ready for Eric Molina
- Shakur Stevenson: I’m taking over the 130-lb division’
- Joshua says Mike Tyson would have beaten Muhammad Ali
- Dillian Whyte’s mandatory title shot still looking good for February – Eddie Hearn
- Ryan Garcia says he can HELP Terence Crawford with outside of ring persona
- Keith Thurman discusses his fight with Manny Pacquiao