Saul Alvarez’s next opponent to be revealed within 2 weeks
By Dan Ambrose: Eddy Reynoso, the manager for unbeaten WBC junior middleweight champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (41-0-1, 30 KO’s), says that Alvarez’s next opponent should be known within in the next 15 days or so for his possible bout on May 4th on the undercard of the Floyd Mayweather fight on HBO pay per view. However, the fight might not take place then as they’re also considering having him fight in March instead of May.
Reynoso said to the record.com.mx “Anything can happen. Mayweather says he will fight Robert Guerrero, Austin Trout brings legal problems in the United States. The fight could be advanced to March, so that the champion [Alvarez] can be back into action as soon as possible, possibly against a lower level [opponent].”
So in other words, Alvarez vs. Trout likely won’t be happening because of Trout’s recent arrest on suspicion of intoxication on New Year’s Day in El Paso, Texas. The changes were later dropped, however, and there’s nothing to the case other than Trout having been arrested on suspicion of being under the influence but without a breathalyzer done on him. I’d hate to have that be the excuse for Alvarez not fighting Trour because it seems kind of incredibly weak. He gets arrested in the early morning hours of New Years’ day and then released without charges and then he doesn’t get the fight with Alvarez because of that? That’s pretty weak if that’s the excuse for not fighting him. You would think that Trout would have had to have actually been tested and proven to be under the influence rather than just suspicion.
Reynoso and Alvarez will meet with Golden Boy Promotions next week to discuss who will be Alvarez’s next opponent. Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer already said previously that he felt that Trout hadn’t done enough to deserve the fight with Alvarez despite him beating Miguel Cotto. Schaefer said that Trout needed to prove himself against several other big name fighters before he would consider putting him in with Alvarez.
More Boxing News:
- Canelo Alvarez: Is there anyone that can beat him?
- Eubank Jr says he’d give Canelo a more exciting fight than Saunders
- Jaime Munguia wants Canelo Alvarez fight
- Canelo Alvarez training for Saunders & GGG
- ‘Canelo will beat Golovkin even WORSE’ – Ryan Garcia
- Shakur Stevenson: I’m taking over the 130-lb division’
- Joshua says Mike Tyson would have beaten Muhammad Ali
- Dillian Whyte’s mandatory title shot still looking good for February – Eddie Hearn
- Ryan Garcia says he can HELP Terence Crawford with outside of ring persona
- Keith Thurman discusses his fight with Manny Pacquiao