Pacquiao’s massive knockout and facts behind it
By Babatis Banda: Was Juan Manuel Marquez stronger this time around than the previous meetings? Probably yes. Is it a surprise that he could have been stronger this time around? Certainly no. We all saw Marquez train hard. We all witnessed the intensive training regime Marquez undertook and we are also alive to the fact that Marquez went into camp earlier too. The fact is that Marquez was really determined to beat Manny Pacquiao again, at least in his mind and many others, and convincingly for that matter. It seemed purposeful that Marquez clearly traded speed for power.
In my humble view, these were not the only factors that resulted in that devastating knock-out. The greater part of the reason lies with Pacquiao himself. For a number of years, I have read comments about the jumping around in the ring by Pacquiao. I now think that there was wisdom in those comments. Somebody had said that if it would be a thinking boxer like Mayweather, he would side-step and constantly shoot a straight right to the chin of the south-paw. The blogger made observations that the so called punching from awkward positions attributed to Manny was actually a terrible thing because more often, Pacquiao would be out of balance.
The in and out ‘jumping’ that Pacquiao employs when fighting is effective against slower reacting fighters. A pure boxer times his punches and can catch-him mid-air, just like Marquez caught him. However strong you can be, you have no leverage in the air. The fact that Pacquiao tipped over the way he did, means that he was in mid-air doing the ‘in-jump’ and then, Ka booom…it was all over. For those getting comfort from accusing Marquez of PED use, get real and notice that Pacquiao is the major architect of his demise.
I should mention again, that Pacquiao has a habit of using his right hand as a measuring stick for his power left. Any intelligent fighter that sees the lazy right knows immediately that the left is coming. This is the reason Bradley and Marquez to a greater extent managed to dodge the power shots. Pacquiao has managed to devastate a number of boxers simply because of his power and the fact that a number of them would be slower than him, rather than pure boxing intelligence. Pacquiao’ s durability has also been his major asset. He has socked in a hell of punishment throughout his career.
More Boxing News:
- Terence Crawford: ‘I’ll fight whoever they put in front of me’
- Manny Pacquiao reacts to Floyd Mayweather calling him an “OLD man”
- ESPN2 to Air Some of Boxing’s Most Debated Decisions
- Mikey Garcia: The door is open for Manny Pacquiao fight
- Arum looking to match Crawford with Spence, Pacquiao or Porter next
- New options for Canelo Alvarez’s fight in September
- Adrien Broner says he’s going back to the STREETS without $10 million
- Julio Cesar Martinez – is he the next star at 112?
- Fury wants to surpass Mayweather and Canelo with biggest contract
- Devin Haney vs. Luke Campbell – Hearn wants this next