Pacquiao wants his April fight in Singapore or Philippines
By Allan Fox: If Manny Pacquiao prefers that his next fight take place in Singapore or the Philippines. Pacquiao is going to have to push his team to hurry up and find a venue in one of those countries of he’s to fight by April.
January is almost over and Pacquiao’s promoter Bob Arum usually likes at least two months to properly market his fights. At this point unless they find a venue and opponent soon, Arum isn’t going to be able to have as much time to hype the fight.
Pacquiao said to mannypinol.com “I am looking at Manila or Singapore as the venue of my next fight.”
Pacquiao’s fights probably don’t need all the extra time that Arum has been using in the past to market them because he’s to the point in his career where one of his fights would sell well even if the boxing public were only given a 1-week advance notice. He’s sufficiently popular now that he doesn’t need all the extra time that Arum has been spending.
It really doesn’t matter if they find someone late in the game for this fight because there’s probably not going to be a Pacquiao 24/7 series on HBO if the opponent is going to be a lower quality tune-up type opponent. I imagine Arum might still want a 24/7 series so that he can pump up PPV sales as much as possible but I don’t see it happening if it’s just scrub opponent.
Pacquiao added this when asked if he would stick around for another three years: “Three years? That’s too long.”
Pacquiao might not last even two years if he keeps losing. He’s lost his last two fights, and at 34, he’s definitely starting to show signs of aging. We saw that in his last win over Juan Manuel Marquez in November 2011, and we saw it in his loss to Tim Bradley last June. Pacquiao’s knockout loss to Marquez last December is further evidence that he’s starting to lose it.
More Boxing News:
- Pacquiao doesn’t rule out Golovkin bout at 154
- Conor McGregor looking desparate, still wants Pacquiao fight
- Arum approached by Kell Brook for Terence Crawford fight
- Errol Spence threatens to Go “Rogue” if Manny Pacquiao faces Mikey Garcia
- Manny Pacquiao adviser hints Mikey Garcia next for him
- Mike Tyson vs. Roy Jones Jr postponed until November 28
- Jay Harris: “Martinez Fight Announced Me on The Big Stage”
- Erislandy Lara vs. Greg Vendetti on August 29 on Fox
- Froch says Mike Tyson could gas after 4 rounds against Roy Jones Jr
- Ryan Garcia’s adviser returns fire at Bob Arum over criticism