Darren Barker wants Andy Lee in 2013; Golovkin also a possibility
By Scott Gilfoid: Former EBU middleweight champion Darren Barker (24-1, 15 KO’s) is hoping to get a shot against Ireland’s Andy Lee (28-2, 20 KO’s) this year if possible. Barker says he’s willing to even travel to Ireland in order to fight the 28-year-old Lee.
Barker said to Sky Sports News “I’d go to Ireland to fight him [Lee]. Not a problem…I believe I’ve got his number. I’ve got the style to beat him…I’m sure he wants the fight as much as I do.”
It’s possible Lee may say yes to a fight with Barker. I mean, look at who Lee is fighting on February 9th. He’s got an easy fight against an over-matched Anthony Fitzgerald (13-3, 4 KO’s) at the Odyssey Arena, in Belfast, Northern Ireland. I’m sure Lee wouldn’t mind going from a win over Fitzgerald to a fight with Lee given that it’s a perfect transition for him. It’s the same stand up European style and Lee will do well against Barker.
I really don’t see Barker beating a guy like Lee since he doesn’t have the pressure style of fighting that has traditionally given Lee a lot of problems during his career. In fact, Lee does really well against the Barker types that stand on the outside and look to trade jabs and long range shots all night long.
A fight between Barker and Lee may have to wait, though, as Barker is being considered for a title shot against WBA World middleweight champion Gennady Golovkin. If Barker doesn’t banged up in his fight on March 9th, we could see him in the ring with Golovkin real soon.
If Golovkin wants Barker bad enough I’m sure he’d be willing to travel to the UK to make the fight happen. Golovkin is already looking to get back in the ring in March or April, so March 9th would be perfect for him if he were to face Barker.
- Andy Lee picks Pacquiao to defeat Spence
- Gennadiy Golovkin and Ryota Murata won’t take interim bouts before meeting on Dec.28th in Japan
- Gabe Rosado targeting Munguia, Charlo or Golovkin
- Golovkin needs to move on from Canelo
- Amir Khan predicts Pacquiao vs. Spence & Crawford vs. Porter
- Joseph Diaz Jr: ‘I want Ryan Garcia or Haney next, whoever accepts’
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Dmitry Bivol at catchweight between 168 and 175
- Leonard Ellerbe questions Canelo Alvarez’s level of opposition, wants him to fight Benavidez, Charlo & Plant