Danny Garcia fails to deny rumors he’s pulling out of Judah fight
By Dan Ambrose: WBA/WBC light welterweight champion Danny Garcia is rumored to be pulling out of his fight this Monday with 35-year-old Zab Judah, according to Steve Kim of maxboxing.com. With Judah skewering him in messages on twitter late last night, the only thing Garcia could offer up was this brief comment: “I’m ready for whoever!”
That doesn’t sound like a denial, does it? Boxing fans that were looking forward to the February 9th fight between Garcia and Judah are still hoping this is just a sick joke and that Garcia will choose to fight Judah as scheduled, but you have to wonder why Garcia didn’t confront the rumors head on last night when given the opportunity. Garcia’s usually vocal father, Angel Garcia, has been oddly quiet about the news of Garcia possibly pulling out of the fight.
You have to wonder about the timing of all of this. It’s coming directly after WBC interim light welterweight champion Lucas Matthysse blasted out Mike Dallas Jr. in the 1st round last night in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Some boxing fans feel that Danny night have seen how scary good Matthysse looked, and then remembered how Judah beat Matthysse several years ago, and maybe figured that it might not be wise to take the fight with Judah. Matthysse’s win over Dallas Jr. definitely makes Judah look like a much bigger threat to beating Danny than before.
We really haven’t seen Garcia take any risks recently with his two fights against a past his best Erik Morales, and him pulling out of a fight with Judah would seem like another move to avoid risks.
If Garcia pulled out of the Judah fight and then faces Matthysse, then you can give Garcia a pass because he’s pulling out of one fight to take on the arguably better fighter in Matthysse. But if Garcia pulls out of the Judah fight, and takes on a fringe contender or another aging veteran in a title milking type fight, then you have to wonder about what kind of champion Garcia’s going to be.
More Boxing News:
- Danny Garcia the WBC mandatory to Errol Spence
- Malignaggi discusses Spence, Pacquiao vs. Garcia & Thurman vs. Porter
- Danny Garcia: Spence or Pacquiao fights can happen this summer
- Errol Spence TARGETING July or August for return, Danny Garcia possible
- Angel Garcia wants Keith Thurman to give Danny a rematch
- Malignaggi: ‘They did Golovkin DIRTY in first 2 Canelo fights’
- Joshua could fight Ruiz a third time – Hearn
- Brook: ‘I’m the guy to beat Crawford’
- Caleb Plant looking sharp training
- Canelo vs. BJ Saunders not likely to happen