Will Pacquiao retire in 2013 if he gets planked again?
By Chris Williams: It goes without saying that Filipino Manny Pacquiao had a terrible 2012 in losing both of his fights he took part in and capping the year by getting planked by Juan Manuel Marquez in the 6th round on December 8th. What a terrible year for Pacquiao and arguably the worst year of his entire career.
Pacquiao now goes into 2013 with a big question mark about his chin and that question will likely be answered by September next year in a rematch between and Marquez. Getting knocked out a second time could be the catalyst needed for Pacquiao to finally hang up his gloves permanently and go back to the Philippines to focus on his political career.
There are some of his Filipino fans who think Pacquiao could wind up as the president of the Philippines with 10 to 20 years if he sticks it out in politics. But as far as his boxing career goes, he could be in a situation where he has to make a big decision about his career by this time next year.
If Pacquiao gets planked like he was by Marquez earlier this month then it’s going to be tough to see Pacquiao sticking it out. My guess is his promoter Bob Arum and trainer Freddie Roach will say that nothing is wrong with Pacquiao and that he just needs more focus on his defense.
In keeping Pacquiao in the game when his body is telling him it’s time to get out it could lead to Pacquiao suffering additional future knockouts no matter who he faces. I don’t think Arum would be brave enough to put Pacquiao in with Brandon Rios after another knockout loss, but I can see Arum matching him against Tim Bradley in a rematch, because Bradley can’t punch and is someone that Pacquiao would only have to worry about trying to stay busy enough to out-box.
More Boxing News:
- Jose Ramirez: Mikey Garcia hits harder than Manny Pacquiao
- Mikey Garcia: ‘Manny Pacquiao WANTS a fight with me’
- Mikey Garcia has Manny Pacquiao at top of his list for his next opponent
- Amir Khan denies being put DOWN by Manny Pacquiao in sparring
- Golovkin will HURT Pacquiao says trainer Abel Sanchez
- Saunders: I’m NOT a stepping stone for Canelo
- Tyson Fury helps out cut-man that saved him against Otto Wallin
- Eddy Reynoso: Ryan Garcia will knockout Luke Campbell
- Dillian Whyte parts ways with trainer Mark Tibbs
- Ricky Hatton says ‘We CAN’T let Mike Tyson Fight at 53’