Purses for Saturday: Pacquiao $25 million, Marquez $3 million
By Chris Williams: Manny Pacquiao will be getting a huge payday of a guaranteed $25 million on Saturday night for his fight with Juan Manuel Marquez in Las Vegas. According to Yahoo News, Pacquiao can make as much as $30 million with the upside on the pay per view sales on HBO.
The fight will be selling for a steep $59.99 on PPV, so it’s not hard to see how Pacquiao can be making so much green stuff. The 39-year-old Marquez will get a much, much smaller payday of a guaranteed $3 million, but the PPV upside will set that up possibly close to $10 million.
Marquez lives in Mexico, and that’s a lot of money over there. He’s obviously already quite wealthy from his last PPV fight with Pacquiao last November, but the cash he gets on Saturday won’t hurt. If Marquez can beat Pacquiao, he’ll likely earn himself a 5th fight with him next year. That would be ideal because few boxers are making big money at his age.
last time Pacquiao and Marquez fought last year there fight drew 1.3 million PPV buys. Those are excellent numbers, and it’s not surprising that Bob Arum preferred making this rematch over a Pacquiao vs. Tim Bradley rematch.
It would be interesting to know how much Arum and trainer Freddie Roach are making for the fight. They don’t discuss those numbers, but I’d like to know what Arum’s cut is as well as Roach. If Pacquiao is making $25 to $30 million for the fight then you have to figure that Arum is making big bank.
Besides cable, Pacquiao-Marquez will also be televised on closed circuit television. That’s an outside method of showing a fight but I guess it’s like having another fish net out to try and catch every penny.
Pacquiao, Arum and Roach could get big money if they could put a fight together between Pacquiao and Floyd Mayweather Jr. before both of those fighters age much more.
More Boxing News:
- Jose Ramirez: Mikey Garcia hits harder than Manny Pacquiao
- Mikey Garcia: ‘Manny Pacquiao WANTS a fight with me’
- Mikey Garcia has Manny Pacquiao at top of his list for his next opponent
- Amir Khan denies being put DOWN by Manny Pacquiao in sparring
- Golovkin will HURT Pacquiao says trainer Abel Sanchez
- Boxing Results: Carlos Takam defeats Jerry Forrest
- Shakur Stevenson vacating his WBO 126-pound title
- Carl Frampton to fight on August 15
- Should Terence Crawford move back down to 140lbs?
- Emanuel Navarrete set to move up to 126