Mosley: Mayweather punches as hard as Saul Alvarez
By Chris Williams: Shane Mosley took a real bad beating recently to Saul “Canelo” Alvarez elaier this year in a wide 12 round unanimous decision loss by the scores of 119-109, 119-109 and 118-110. In 2010, Mosley was beaten by Floyd Mayweather Jr. by the similar scores of 119-109, 118-110 and 119-109. But believe it or not, Mosley thinks that Mayweather hits just as hard as the 22-year-old Alvarez despite not really having a reputation as a puncher nor the same size as Alvarez.
Mosley said in an interview by esnewsreporting.com “Saul Alvarez is a bigger fighter, but I don’t know that he is as smart as Mayweather . He is deceptively fast, but Mayweather has more experience, and he knows how to tip to the side to get out of the way. Saul has a lot of physical strength. I think they hit about the same. Him and Mayweather hit about the same. Saul Alvarez has great power but Mayweather has good power too. I think of Mayweather’s style I the ring, if he gets a couple of fights, gets his timing back, he’s smarter than Canelo right now, but Canelo is so young.”
That’s pretty interesting that Mosley sees Canelo and Mayweather as being about the same in terms of punching power because I don’t know too many boxing fans who would come to that kind conclusion when they compare the two fighters because Floyd doesn’t sit down on his punches in the same way that Saul.
If you look at how much punishment that Mosley took in his loss to Alvarez compared to the punishment he took in his loss to Mayweather, it just looks like Alvarez hits consistently with more power. However, he’s not a Julian Jackson or anything close to that.
He’s just a strong Mexican fighter who sits down on his punches a lot more than Mayweather, but Alvarez can be beat. It would take a more mobile Mayweather for him to be able to beat him because he’s not going to be able to beat Saul if he stands and trades shots with him for 12 rounds,.
More Boxing News:
- Teofimo Lopez reacts to Mayweather fighting Logan Paul
- Eubank Jr wants Canelo, Golovkin, Murata or Jermall title shot
- Logan Paul not denying Floyd Mayweather fight happening
- Canelo Alvarez vs. Gennadiy Golovkin III: Will this fight happen in 2021?
- Fans want Canelo Alvarez to fight in 2020
- Devin Haney and Yuriorkis Gamboa reach an agreement for Nov.7 fight on DAZN
- Fury advises Joshua to vacate WBO belt to duck Oleksandr Usyk
- Jose Pedraza dominates Javier Molina in one-sided 10-round decision win
- Boxing Results: Erickson Lubin decisions Terrell Gausha; Jaron Ennis KOs Abreu
- Daniel Jacobs could face Gabe Rosado or John Ryder in the fall