Marquez waiting for permission from his wife to fight Pacquiao again
By Chris Williams: Juan Manuel Marquez (55-6-2, 40 KO’s) is more than ready to get in the ring with Filipino Manny Pacquiao again so that he score another knockout over him and prove that his KO win earlier this month wasn’t just from a “Lucky punch” like a lot of Pacquiao’s fans have been saying. But unless Marquez’s wife gives him permission, he’ll be retiring and won’t give Pacquiao the opportunity to try and avenge his loss.
Marquez said to the record.com.mx “I wish my wife would give the green light…and hopefully give me a chance to do another fight.”
The fourth fight with Pacquiao was supposed to have been the 39-year-old Marquez’s final fight of his career, as he had promised his wife that he would retire after the bout no matter what the outcome. But Marquez’s victory, and the huge amount of interest in the fight, has Pacquiao’s promoter Bob Arum very interested in putting Marquez and Pacquiao back together again for yet another pay per view bout on HBO.
It’s a fight that will do really good numbers on PPV, and likely would be the biggest PPV fight of both of their careers.
The rivalry would likely continue from there because the loser of the fight would be looking for another rematch, and I imagine if it’s Pacquiao who loses, we’d like see Arum push for another rematch between them. I think Arum will push for a 6th fight just based on the huge PPV numbers alone.
Even if Marquez knocks Pacquiao out in the 1st round, I think Arum will look for another fight just to take advantage of the interest from boxing fans. It doesn’t end, and I think Marquez is right to want Marquez to wrap up his career because I think it’ll keep going until he’s the one that ends up losing. At that point, I think Arum and Pacquiao will move on towards other fights.
More Boxing News:
- Arum has Kell Brook as Crawford’s Plan-B if no Pacquiao fight
- Pacquiao doesn’t rule out Golovkin bout at 154
- Conor McGregor looking desparate, still wants Pacquiao fight
- Arum approached by Kell Brook for Terence Crawford fight
- Errol Spence threatens to Go “Rogue” if Manny Pacquiao faces Mikey Garcia
- David Benavidez: Is it time to move up to 175?
- Jean Pascal is Artur Beterbiev’s WBC mandatory at 175
- Hearn hints Fury won’t get same deal with Joshua if he vacates WBC title without fighting Whyte
- David Benavidez 2.8 pounds overweight, loses WBC title for Roamer Angulo fight
- Porter analyzes Errol Spence vs. Danny Garcia, expects to fight the winner