Maidana-Thurman possible for April
By Dan Ambrose: Golden Boy Promotions is looking to put together a fight card with welterweight contenders Marcos Maidana (32-3, 29 KO’s) facing highly hyped unbeaten Keith Thurman (19-0, 18 KO’s) and unbeaten featherweight Gary Russell Jr. (21-0, 13 KO’s) facing an opponent still to be determined in April in a doubleheader, according to RingTV.
Golden Boy was hoping to get Jhonny Gonzalez for Russell Jr., but he reportedly wasn’t interested in the fight. Hopefully they can find a good opponent for Russell Jr. because he really needs to step it up already and start facing some better opposition if he wants to keep improving as a fighter.
The Thurman-Maidana fight seems like a great idea. Maidana had a chance to face Thurman earlier this year but he instead chose to fight Jesus Soto-Karass, a fight which Maidana won by an 8th round knockout last September. A lot of boxing fans think Maidana ducked the hard hitting and bigger Thurman, but you can’t really blame Maidana if he did because Thurman is more of a junior middleweight and Maidana just recently moved up to welterweight and hasn’t really looked great at this weight compared to how he looked at 140.
Thurman stopped veteran Carlos Quintana in the 4th round last month in one-sided fight. Thurman knocked the timid looking Quintana down in the 1st and then chased him around the ring until bludgeoning him until the referee stepped in to halt the fight.
Maidana is now trained by Robert Garcia in Oxnard, California. He’s made a lot of changes in Maidana’s fighting style, with him using his jab a lot more and moving his head and upper body to avoid shots. He never used to do that in the past and he was easy to hit. He’s still easy to hit as we saw in his war with Soto-Karass, but he’s a lot better on defense now.
Maidana will be fighting on Wednesday night in a stay busy fight against Angel Martinez (13-3-1, 9 KO’s) at the Estadio Luna Park, in Buenos Aires, Distrito Federal, Argentina.
More Boxing News:
- Vergil Ortiz Jr wants Keith Thurman or Danny Garcia
- Amir Khan targeting Keith Thurman, Manny Pacquiao & Danny Garcia
- Keith Thurman: I DESERVE a rematch with Manny Pacquiao
- Keith Thurman: Spence is going to have to see me at 147 or leave the division
- Amir Khan to Marcos Maidana: “Let’s do it again”
- Errol Spence has “screenshotted” his doubters, he’ll gloat after Nov.21
- Jermall Charlo gives Sergiy Derevyanchenko a warning: “What round is it going to be?”
- The Trio Vying For British Glory: Chad Sugden on Facing Shakan Pitters and Craig Richards
- Broner: Tank Davis will fight Ryan Garcia after Leo Santa Cruz
- Devin Haney will clear out 135 & 140-lb divisions says Mickey Bey