Haye: I’m hoping Vitali will fight me in 2013
By Scott Gilfoid: David Haye BADLY wants to get a final fight in against WBC heavyweight champion Vitali Klitshko before hanging up the gloves next year and he thinks the World Boxing Council wants this fight to happen as well.
Haye said in a Christmas video to boxing fans “I’m hoping for a more explosive 2013 if Vitali Klitschko will allow me to challenge his WBC title. I know the WBC wants it to happen. I know British and World boxing want that to happen. If it doesn’t, I’ve got other things going on. I’ve got my fitness DVD.”
Good luck, Haye, because you’re going to need it. Don’t you understand that Vitali has bigger things on his plate than a fight with you? He’s looking after his political career right now, and he doesn’t want to be pestered by a guy that was beaten badly by his brother Wladimir. There’s no upside in beating you because you already got dominated. You’re only ranked at #5, and that’s just not high enough. There are four other fighters in front of you so you’re going to have to wait your turn or retire, get it? When are you going to get it that Vitali only faces guy that are proving themselves and not just sitting around waiting in a passive manner for a fight to fall in their laps.
Vitali will probably continue fighting and I believe he’ll defend his title against the winner of the Bermane Stiverne fight next, and then maybe take on Tyson Fury later on in the year if he can keep winning. Those are two decent fights for Vitali, and I don’t see anything getting in the way of him continuing to dominate the division like he’s been doing.
Haye needs to get busy because he’s resting too much on his laurels without doing anything. If you don’t fight then you stop being relevant and Haye has only fought once in 2012 against a 2nd tier fighter in Dereck Chisora. If Haye was really serious about wanting to get the fight with Vitali he’d take on the top contenders like Kubrat Pulev and Chris Arreola to show that he deserves a crack at Vitali’s WBC strap, but facing a 2nd tier fighter that was coming off of a loss to Vitali isn’t nearly enough to get the fight.
More Boxing News:
- Oleksandr Usyk vs. Dereck Chisora targeted for October
- David Haye Not happy with Joe Joyce’s performance against Michael Wallisch
- BT Sport new boxing series: What Went Down
- David Haye discusses coming out of retirement for Joshua vs. Fury winner
- David Haye: WBC can give Dillian Whyte a Gold or Platinum title
- Jermell Charlo and Billy Joe Saunders trade trash talk
- Ryan Garcia and Devin Haney must wait for Tank Davis clash says Mayweather Promoter
- Vasily Lomachenko reducing his purse to get Teofimo Lopez fight done
- Leo Santa Cruz can’t afford to take shots from Gervonta Davis
- Eddie Hearn wants Tyson Fury vs. Deontay Wilder 3 cancelled if it’s pushed back to February 2021