Chavez Jr. to return in May without Roach
By Allan Fox: Former WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (46-1-1, 32 KO’s) will be returning to the ring in May 2013 and will be facing a still to be determined opponent, according to Doghouseboxing.com. The real news here is that Chavez Jr. has reportedly replaced his trainer Freddie Roach with Nacho Beristain.
Chavez Jr. has a hearing with the Nevada State Athletic Commission about his positive marijuana test. Whatever suspension that Chavez Jr. received by them it’ll be retroactive with much of it already having been served out by Chavez Jr. since his loss to Sergio Martinez last September. However, the suspension reportedly doesn’t hold if Chavez Jr. decides to fight in Mexico.
If Chavez Jr. wins his fight in May, then he’ll be facing WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez in September at the Cowboys Stadium in Texas.
Beristain also trains Juan Manuel Marquez, and has trained a lot of former world champions. He could help Chavez Jr’s game, because he really needs help in a big way right now. Chavez Jr. was way out of his depth against Martinez, and his trainer Roach was never able to come up with any kind of plan for Chavez Jr. to get back into the fight.
If Chavez Jr. does dump Roach this will be the second big named fighter to dump Roach in the past year, as former IBF/WBA light welterweight champion Amir Khan recently let Roach go after he lost two fights under his watch.
Chavez Jr. is going to need to pay attention to what Beristain is telling him because he’s an old school trainer and he may not be willing to put up with Chavez Jr’s sometime unorthodox training methods like training at home instead of at the gym.
It should be interesting to see what changes Beristain makes in Chavez Jr’s game.
More Boxing News:
- Julio Cesar Chavez Jr vs. Mario Abel Cazares on Sept.25 in Tijuana, Mexico
- Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. suspended by NSAC for refusing to take drug test
- Pacquiao can win 9th division title against GGG
- Freddie Roach says Pacquiao might want Golovkin next
- Roach, Garcia and Rozier talk about boxing’s return
- Hearn: Joshua will vacate WBO if he must; wants Fury before Usyk
- Mike Tyson interested in facing Anthony Joshua in charity match
- Gennadiy Golovkin to fight on November 21st on DAZN
- Arum targeting Josh Taylor vs. Jose Ramirez for 2021 in Edinburgh or Las Vegas
- Jarrell ‘Big Baby’ Miller blaming his recent drug test on a sex pill