Froch goes into long monologue about his loss to Andre Ward at post-fight press conference last night
By Scott Gilfoid: If you got the chance to see the Carl Froch – Yusaf Mack post-fight press conference last Saturday night in Nottingham you might have noticed how Froch went into a long excuse-laden spiel about his loss to Andre Ward. I’m not sure exactly why Froch changed the whole subject matter around because it was supposed to have been a question and answer period related to Froch’s 3rd round knockout win over Yusaf Mack last night, but Froch kind of went into a long revery about his loss to Ward instead. What a buzz kill Froch’s mention of Ward turned out to be.
Froch said “I lost the last fight with Andre Ward before I even stepped through the ropes, because mentally I wasn’t switched on. Physically I was drained. I was in Manhattan, sitting in New York a second time before Christmas. The sparring was quite brutal with Kid Chocolate, Peter Quillin, who is now a world champion. The last three days I just switched off. I lost the fight before I even stepped though the ropes. So that won’t happen again.”
Froch said a whole lot more on this but I got tired of writing it all down and gave up.
I got the impression that Froch was trying to wash away his defeat to Ward by convincing the media, and perhaps himself, that the outcome would have been different had he not been in Manhattan for a second time around Christmas and whatever else held him back. Froch is a professional and it’s hard to believe that he lost the fight to Ward because he was far away from home at the wrong time of the year. I mean, when you’re in the ring and someone is throwing shots at you it shouldn’t matter. You’re going to fight and if you have the talent you’ll win. If not, then you lose and have to accept it.
I just wonder why Froch went into a long monologue about his loss to Ward during the Mack press conference. It seemed SO out of place. It was like someone remembering something really bad that happened a long time ago and bringing it up during a moment that was supposed to be a celebration. Froch bringing up his loss to Ward was a real buzz kill. Someone needed to shake Froch and tell him to lighten up and it was a downer.
More Boxing News:
- Carl Froch: Kell Brook is cashing out against Terence Crawford on Nov.14
- Andre Ward previews Vasiliy Lomachenko vs. Teofimo Lopez
- ESPN Re-Signs Andre Ward to New Multi-Year Deal
- Froch says Mike Tyson could gas after 4 rounds against Roy Jones Jr
- Andre Ward takes a shot at Eddie Hearn
- Oleksandr Usyk ready to “explode” against Dereck Chisora on Saturday
- Dave Allen taking risky fight against Christopher Lovejoy on Saturday
- VIDEO: Floyd is Right – Too many belts in Boxing
- Opinion: PPVs and Subscriptions – The Cost of Consuming Boxing
- Kell Brook – The Last Dance!