Ariza excited about Pacquiao’s foot and hand speed
By Chris Williams: Alex Ariza is really happy with how Manny Pacquiao (54-4-2, 38 KO’s) has been looking lately in his sparring sessions in getting ready for Juan Manuel Marquez (54-6-1, 39 KO’s) on December 8th. Ariza thinks he’s seeing more foot and hand speed from the soon to be 34-year-old Pacquiao than what he’s seen from him in a long, long time.
Ariza said to the Manilastandardtoday.com “It’s some of the best sparring I’ve seen from Manny and it’s not just the sparring but the movements that he has and I think his hands and his footwork is almost at a different level that I’ve seen in a long time.”
It would be interesting to know exactly how long it’s been since Ariza saw that kind of speed, movement and sparring from Pacquiao. If it’s been within in the last three years then I think it’s no big deal because Pacquiao has looked less than impressive in his last five bouts dating back to his fight against Joshua Clottey in 2010.
The last time that Pacquiao looked good was in his fight against Migue Cotto dating back to November 2009. That’s exactly three years ago and if Pacquiao has looked good to Ariza since then I have to ignore Ariza’s compliments in training because Pacquiao has not looked good in his actual fights.
If you look at Pacquiao’s fights in the last two years you can see pretty clearly that he can no longer move like he used to. Sure, Pacquiao move like that in sparring but that’s not the same thing as an actual fight. In sparring there’s plenty of rest breaks for the Filipino so that he can catch his breath, but in his fights he’s forced to fight hard for three minutes of every round and he simply can’t do that anymore. Pacquiao only fights in brief spurts now.
More Boxing News:
- Conor McGregor looking desparate, still wants Pacquiao fight
- Arum approached by Kell Brook for Terence Crawford fight
- Errol Spence threatens to Go “Rogue” if Manny Pacquiao faces Mikey Garcia
- Manny Pacquiao adviser hints Mikey Garcia next for him
- Floyd Mayweather: Pacquiao fights because he has to, I fight because I want to
- Errol Spence has “screenshotted” his doubters, he’ll gloat after Nov.21
- Jermall Charlo gives Sergiy Derevyanchenko a warning: “What round is it going to be?”
- The Trio Vying For British Glory: Chad Sugden on Facing Shakan Pitters and Craig Richards
- Broner: Tank Davis will fight Ryan Garcia after Leo Santa Cruz
- Devin Haney will clear out 135 & 140-lb divisions says Mickey Bey