Broner pulling the race card
By Duke Pahulu: Adrien Broner alluded on RingTV.com that he doesn’t get the credit he deserves because he’s African American. The truth of the matter is that he doesn’t get the credit because he hasn’t faced or beaten a legit threat in his career yet. Before signing up to face Antonio DeMarco, Broner was on the same boat as Saul Alvarez in that the resume doesn’t matchup with the hype.
Up to this point, Broner’s best opponent was Daniel Ponce de Leon who just won a featherweight title and only fought at 130 once against Broner. And Broner looked rather pedestrian in the fight that many thought Ponce De Leon won. Broner failed to take advantage of a weak 130 division by not facing the likes of Takashi Uchiyama, Juan Carlos Salgado, Takahiro Ao or Roman Martinez.
These fighters have never been apart of a main event on HBO and would have jumped at the chance had Broner offered any of them a shot. But Broner settled for journeymen and tomato cans during his days at 130. This is a man that fashioned himself as the next Floyd Mayweather Jr. But Floyd dominated 130 during his stay there and became the Ring Champ at 130 in a tough era. But Broner has stepped up by fighting a top three lightweight in Demarco. Broner stated that he may not get the credit he deserves if he beats Demarco. I say nonsense!
A Demarco victory would be a step in matching up the hype with substance. If Broner clearly beats Demarco, he’ll start getting the credit he deserves because he hasn’t deserved it up to this point. Pulling the race card on this issue was an act of laziness on Broner’s part. He failed to become the man at 130 and he’s finally stepping up to become the man at 135. If Broner keeps fighting the best, no one will doubt the credibility of his resume.
More Boxing News:
- Adrien Broner denies he’s fighting in January, wants $10 million
- Adrien Broner to fight Ivan Redkach in January at 140
- Haney sends duck message to Tank, Broner, Lomachenko, Ryan and Teofimo
- Devin Haney intrigued by Adrien Broner fight
- Broner: Tank Davis will fight Ryan Garcia after Leo Santa Cruz
- Hearn names 4 options for Saunders on Nov.28: Chudinov, Murray, Fielding & Ryder
- Boxing History: Charley Burley
- Shawn Porter: Demetrius Andrade beats Jermall Charlo
- Jermall Charlo being avoided by Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin?
- Teofimo warns Lomachenko: ‘I’m putting hands on you on October 17th’