Bradley’s trainer: Pacquiao is the golden goose; Marquez can’t win by decision
By Chris Williams: Joel Diaz, the trainer for WBO welterweight champion Tim Bradley, sees Juan Manuel Marquez (54-6-1, 39 KO’s) in an almost impossible situation going into his December 8th fight against Manny Pacquiao (54-4-2, 38 KO’s) at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Diaz doesn’t think that the 39-year-old Marquez can beat the much more popular Pacquiao by a decision because he’s not the big money fighter that Pacquiao is. Ultimately, Diaz believes that Marquez absolutely will need a knockout in order to beat Pacquiao because he doesn’t see the judges giving Marquez a decision win in this fight.
Diaz told Examiner.com writer Chris Robinson “There’s no way Marquez will win that fight. It’s just another business fight for the promoters to make money. At the end of the day, Manny Pacquiao is the golden goose. He’s the one with the name. The only way he would lose is if he could get knocked out.”
The knee-jerk reaction to what Diaz is saying would be to think he’s dreaming and paranoid. However, there are the three fights that Marquez has had with Pacquiao where he appeared to win each one of them, and yet the judges gave Pacquiao two wins and a draw. There are a lot of boxing fans out there who believes that no matter what he does Marquez will never be given a decision over Pacquiao because of what Pacquiao represents to boxing with the big money he attracts for his fights.
While Marquez brings in decent money himself, he’s not the money man like Pacquiao, he’s not the golden goose. So these fans believe that Marquez is pretty much in a no-win situation in his fights with Pacquiao. I don’t know what to believe. I think Marquez has won the three fights with Pacquiao, but for some reason the judges working those fights just weren’t impressed enough with what Marquez did to give him the win. No one will ever know for sure why the judges decided to give Pacquiao the wins when massive amounts of boxing fans saw Pacquiao losing each fight with Marquez.
More Boxing News:
- Thurman: Pacquiao has my BELT, I want it back
- Amir Khan wants Neeraj Goyat and Manny Pacquiao in next 2 fights before retirement
- Keith Thurman discusses his fight with Manny Pacquiao
- Ryan Garcia: ‘I’m fighting Manny Pacquiao in 2021’
- Pacquiao tests negative for COVID 19; Mikey Garcia wants to fight him
- Haney slams Luke Campbell over his comments
- Gennadiy Golovkin turns 38 today
- Is Ryan Garcia the next Canelo Alvarez?
- Devin Haney to be reinstated as WBC 135-lb champion
- Warren rules out Tyson Fury vs. Anthony Joshua happening next